How to configure TD to work with your own WebDAV server

Questions and information regarding TeamDrive supported WebDAV servers - Fragen und Informationen zu von TeamDrive unterstützten WebDAV-Servern

How to configure TD to work with your own WebDAV server

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 06 Jan 2009, 19:09

The TeamDrive workspace virtualization works with smart personal clients (the TeamDrive client software) and a server component for each space. These pieces of the network can be mixed and meshed infinitely. Thus allows TeamDrive to grow into a huge selfgrowing network.

Each client can select a relay-/backup server when a new space is created. There are multiple TeamDrive hosting servers availible in the network from a number of service providers. And each client comes pre-configured with a server access key to a TeamDrive hosting server. 100 MB Space is free to use and it can be expanded as needed.

Since the TeamDrive intelligence relies mainly in the client software we offer every Teamdrive user the opportunity to use their own WebDAV server as alternative relay-/backup servers. As these servers belong to each user there is no cost to TeamDrive involved. You can attach any WebDAV server of any size without extra cost. We support the HTTP-protocol.

An extra benefit for the use is the fact that he now can share his WebDAV server with his friends without disclosing or managing individual user accounts or passwords on the WebDAV server. All this is done by TeamDrive, automatically. You can see a TeamDrive folder on your WebDAV server, but you will see only highly encrypted data (256 bit) and your TeamDrive client software ist the only way to access and read the content. This makes your data on the server extremly secure and no administrator of your server can ever reach knowledge of your content.

Here is how you configure TeamDrive to work with your WebDAV Server:

Under the "Settings" menue you will find the "Server Access" section and that opens the following window:

WebDAV_config.png
WebDAV_config.png (25.49 KiB) Viewed 9133 times

1.) Give a name to your server access key which you are creating (your choice)
2.) Enter your username which you use for your normal login on your WebDAV Server (this depends soley on your server configuration or the information from your hosting partner)
3.) Enter your password to your WebDAV Server (this will only be used by TeamDrive to access your server. It will never be disclosed to anybody. It will not be stored on a server. It will be send in an encrypted interal TeamDrive message only to the users which you invite to share documents with.)
4.) Enter the URL address of your WebDAV server
5.) Finally you can make this server to your default configuration when you create shared spaces. But you always have the option to select any availibe realy-/backup server.
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Re: How to configure TD to work with your own WebDAV server

Postby soundmagic » 09 Jan 2009, 16:49

Hi,

I did everything like you described, but I´m not able to manage to invite others to my own WebDAV server !!
What do I have to do ? I invite the other memeber, he got also the invitation but then we are not able to work together on the share !
Even the status of the invited member is not going to activ !!!

Any idea ?
soundmagic

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 09 Jan 2009, 16:58

The WebDAV Server must be accessable by others from the internet.

Could it be that your WebDAV Server sits behind your firewall?

The invitation to your invited user is sent encrypted via our mail relaying service. The user will only be shown as an active user when he accepts the invite and his client can write to the server.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

Best regards
Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby TeamJim » 22 Feb 2009, 12:59

Hi,
Can you give an example of the setup method to use my own in-house server. For instance, is a standard Local Area Network
Server e.g. Windows 2003 Server useable as the WebDav Server ?

Regds, Jim
TeamJim

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 25 Feb 2009, 18:31

Jim,

we are working on a positive list for WebDav Servers where we know that things work fine together with TeamDrive.

A config or setup recommentation is also in the works, but this will take us about two more weeks as we are very busy with the testing of our WebDAV HTTPS protocol currently in our WebDAV team.

Best regards
Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Return to WebDAV Server - WebDAV-Server