Turn off server side versioning?

Questions and information regarding the Mac OS X desktop client - Fragen und Informationen zum Mac OS X Desktop-Client

Turn off server side versioning?

Postby jeffpk » 27 Mar 2012, 20:59

Hi Guys,

This isn't really a Mac question but Im on a mac and I couldn't find anywhere else to post it.

How do I make Teamdrive JUST save the latest version on your server? My files are large and versioning is both unnecessary for me and quickly eating up my storage space.

Thanks

JK
jeffpk

Re: Turn off server side versioning?

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 30 Mar 2012, 13:50

This is a TeamDrive Professional license feature.
When you create a new Space you can limit the versions for that Space to 1/3/5/10 and unlimited.

-detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby c273 » 12 May 2012, 15:22

But this makes a mockery of the 2GB free allowance. A small number of changes to a large file (or large number of files) will quickly exceed this limit.

In my opinion, for the free version, the user should be able to select keeping either 0 or 1 prior versions (it is the user's responsibility to manage their own backups).

Also, if the data only resides on a TeamDrive Personal Server on the user's own hardware, then any number of versions should be allowable and, since they are not on your servers, prior versions should not be counted when determining how much space is used by the user (2G maximum) or how much space is used on the server (10GB maximum) as long as the primary version still exists.

I haven't been using your software for very long and I only have used 20% of my 2GB allowance using my own server but frequent changes to files mean that TeamDrive already thinks I am using 29% (that is nearly a 50% increase in less than 2 weeks of use) and all the data is on my own hardware!

Please reconsider this "feature" in both the free client and Personal Server versions.
c273

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 14 May 2012, 10:09

These are valid comments I will pass them on.

But keep in mind that you can allays delete old versions and free up your space. Don´t forget to empty the trash thereafter.

Also, if one user with a TeamDrive Professional client creates a space with limited versioning, all other users benefit from that, including the free users.

-detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby c273 » 14 May 2012, 10:15

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have a question though: how do you delete the old versions of the file leaving the current version intact? Does this apply to the client only or also to the TeamDrive Personal Server?

David
c273

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 14 May 2012, 11:51

The TeamDrive Server does not play any active role here. It store only encrypted files.

Deleting versions is easy. Just select the version in the version list in the TeamDrive Explorer, right click (context menu) on the selected version and delete them. Dont´t forget to empty the trash ;-)
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby c273 » 14 May 2012, 16:41

When you say:
The TeamDrive Server does not play any active role here. It store only encrypted files.

Does this mean that when older versions of files are deleted on the client then the corresponding encrypted files on the server are also deleted and so reducing the amount stored vs. the 10GB limit?

David
c273

Postby volkeroboda » 10 Jul 2012, 20:04

Hi

yes, the binary data is deleted on the server. We only keep the information that you deleted the file in the TeamDrive log-file on the server. The log-file is also encrypted.

Volker
volkeroboda
TeamDrive Team Member

Return to Mac OS X