Folder sharing between multiple computers

Questions and information regarding the Windows desktop client - Fragen und Informationen zum Windows Desktop-Client

Folder sharing between multiple computers

Postby sensei_john » 22 Oct 2012, 16:54

I need a file sharing capability between at least three separate computers. The number of files is quite small, as is their size.

I am not clear whether I can use the same TeamDrive account on all the computers but then how would I deduce where each version of a file came from.

Alternatively should I create separate accounts for each computer (one account and machine is an obvious master) and "invite" each computer to join.

Can you give me some advice?

I am using a cloud service at present which does almost everything I need (it works, it encrypts files at source, it keeps multiple versions, etc).

The only issue I have with my current service is that the versioning creates a problem with managing out of date versions. I have to log onto each computer to manually delete all the old versions as the application keeps a separate version record for each computer. I cannot do this managment from a central point. There is no way to set a maximum age or maximum number of versions.

In more detail I am using KeePass password manager. I use this to syncronise certain items of data between a machine at work and a prmary machine at home. The file gets updated often, perhaps 3 or 4 times per day. All the changes are replicated to my two main machines as versions specific to each mashine. I have to delete these versions manually. There is a third machine at home which I use occasionally but the data is also replicated to that machine and the cloud servcie remembers all the intermediate versions. I only log onto thatthird machine with my normal account about every 3 or 4 months which would mean there could be hundreds of obsolete versions to delete manually.

I THINK TeamViewer has a more centralised view of versions (from my testing so far) and would allow me to to delete all old versions from one place/account irrespective of which machine uploaded the new copy. Am I right? Even better would be a rule allowing me to delete these files older than say a week. Note I would then regard backup and mutiple versions of the shared file as a separate issue.

I have tried to get these answers from the TeamDrive manual, and it may already have been answered in your forum, but I am unable to read German. This also delayed my testing of your service as the documentation in English (for version 3) was non existent for a while.
sensei_john

Re: Folder sharing between multiple computers

Postby Kenneth » 22 Oct 2012, 17:24

You could simply use your current account on all three machines. That is one option. But if you would like to see which machine the version came from I would recommend creating different accounts for those two machine. That way the name associated with that machine will show up in the versions cache.

The versions cache keeps all versions it has space for (If you set a Space to keep only one version of a file then only one version will be kept). Let's say if you have 500 versions of a file. In the version tree you will see 499, 498, etc. But versions 1-400 may no longer be in the tree. The cache automatically deletes older versions it no longer has space for in order to create space for new versions. You can also go through and one-by-one delete the versions of files. To do so you would have to have Administrator rights in that Space.
Kenneth

Postby sensei_john » 23 Oct 2012, 00:13

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought it worked like that but was not sure. I think I will have to create the additional accounts so it is easier to manage.

You implied that there was some way to limit the number of versions kept in a space. I have not been able to find that - even the setting for only one version.

At 20-30 versions a week (or sometimes more) the number of versions could get very big very quickly. I am not currently expecting to store any large files in the space at present. The KeePass file I want to use cloud storage for is currently around 200 kbytes so I am not likely to fill the space but could easily have 1000+ versions per year but which is only 50 mbytes. Perhaps I should not worry - I just wanted to keep the data tidy and I probably don't actually need more than about 5 versions.

I would have administration rights from my primary account and the others could have lower rights .
sensei_john

Postby Kenneth » 23 Oct 2012, 14:03

When creating a Space there is an option to determine how many versions are stored on the server.

This is, however, only available with a Professional license.

The versions cache clears itself so that isn't anything you need to worry yourself with. The number of versions will just show how many versions of that file have been created, it doesn't mean the earliest ones still exist on the server.
Kenneth

Postby innovative12 » 26 Apr 2014, 04:20

@ This is a great information it can help me, thanks for sharing.

http://www.innovativecases.com/
innovative12

Return to Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10