TeamDrive Personal Server on WHS 2011?

Questions and information regarding the TeamDrive Personal Server - Fragen und Informationen zum TeamDrive Personal Server

TeamDrive Personal Server on WHS 2011?

Postby c273 » 23 Apr 2012, 14:31

My family have a number of desktops and laptops in the house and I run Windows Home Server 2011 to back them up and provide web access to shared files on the server. I never want to send any of our files to your or anyone else's servers - whether they are encrypted or not.

But I have a few questions:

1. Can I install TDPS on WHS 2011 (it is basically a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit OS)?

2. We have a number of family shared directories and a number of private shared ones (e.g. some directories used by my wife and I but which are not accessible to our children). I want to be able to ensure automatic syncronisation of these directories such that my wife and I always access the latest copy of any file within them. Is this possible with TDPS?

3. If my WHS server is down (or if we used your servers and out internet connection was down) and we both change the same file, what happens when the server/internet is back? Are both there for us to sort out or does one of us loose some changes?

4. As I never want to load data onto your servers and I will never invite anyone outside the family to these files and I keep backups of all my client PCs and my WHS, why do I have to have a connection to your servers to save my public key? Why can't I just keep my own copy on my own server?

5. Related to 4 - if I must have a connection to your servers to access my public key, does that mean I can't access these files on our PCs or ensure automatic syncronisation between them if my internet connection is down?

Thanks
c273

Re: TeamDrive Personal Server on WHS 2011?

Postby EPruehs » 27 Apr 2012, 15:51

c273 wrote:1. Can I install TDPS on WHS 2011 (it is basically a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit OS)?

Yes, should work
c273 wrote:
2. We have a number of family shared directories and a number of private shared ones (e.g. some directories used by my wife and I but which are not accessible to our children). I want to be able to ensure automatic syncronisation of these directories such that my wife and I always access the latest copy of any file within them. Is this possible with TDPS?

You create different 2 spaces in the TeamDrive client and to one space you invite only your wife and to the other one your complete family, but then each member of your family will need an own TeamDrive account. The data on the TeamDrive Personal Server is encrypted and there is no way to read the data on the server.
c273 wrote:
3. If my WHS server is down (or if we used your servers and out internet connection was down) and we both change the same file, what happens when the server/internet is back? Are both there for us to sort out or does one of us loose some changes?

This will result in a conflict, because two users modified the same version. You have to resolve the conflict manually and make one version to the new current one, but TeamDrive will keep all versions and therefor you could access older versions at any time.
c273 wrote:
4. As I never want to load data onto your servers and I will never invite anyone outside the family to these files and I keep backups of all my client PCs and my WHS, why do I have to have a connection to your servers to save my public key? Why can't I just keep my own copy on my own server?

The data of your spaces will only be stored on your own server, but the invitation to the spaces will be exchanged using our registration server. Also the license handling will be checked on our registration server. The invitation will only be stored until the other client will download the invitation and invitations which will not be downloaded will be deleted after 30 days.
c273 wrote:
5. Related to 4 - if I must have a connection to your servers to access my public key, does that mean I can't access these files on our PCs or ensure automatic syncronisation between them if my internet connection is down?

Your public key is also stored on your local PC, but the public key must be also stored on our server, because if someone else wants to invite you to a space, he will need your public key and because we offer no direct access between two clients, the other client will download the key from our registration server. The connection to the registration server is independent to the connection to your TeamDrive Personal Server. You could synchronize your data even if our registration server is not reachable.
EPruehs
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby c273 » 27 Apr 2012, 17:30

Thank you.

You replied:

You create different 2 spaces in the TeamDrive client and to one space you invite only your wife and to the other one your complete family, but then each member of your family will need an own TeamDrive account.

As each member of the family has their own Windows account on the laptops, does that mean that when they logon to them, they will have their own TeamDrive account automatically assigned - i.e. each user has their own settings when logged on?

Can the logon to TeamDrive Client be automatic when they logon to Windows so that they don't have to enter a password to TD?

The limit for the Team Drive free edition is 2GB. Is this per client (i.e. per laptop) or is it per user (i.e. for 4 users on a laptop it would be a maximum of 8GB in total - also subject to the TDPS limit of 10GB)?

Lastly, there is a only a Short Version of the TeamDrive User’s Manual (First Steps) on your web site. Is there a full manual for the current release also there somewhere?
c273

Postby EPruehs » 30 Apr 2012, 17:14

You install TeamDrive once on your PC and each user who logged in to his own windows account, could register his own TeamDrive client. Registration is only necessary once. After that you just start the TeamDrive application. There is no additional logon necessary.

The 2 GB limitation is per client. All data in all spaces of a client will be summarized and if you have more than 2 GB of data, you will need a license. 5 users could use the TeamDrive Personal Server and each could store 2 GB of data to reach the 10 GB limit of the server.

We offer several tutorials as videos on our website:

https://www.teamdrive.com/handbooks_and_tutorials.html

For TeamDrive 3 we will create also a more detailed documentation.
EPruehs
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby Tommy Sun » 15 May 2012, 15:47

Thanks for the info, i have also tried this out too, and it worked all good. I just created a user and gave eah user a section of the drive, so they can login individually, works great for Windows Home Server.
Tommy Sun

Return to TeamDrive Personal Server (TDPS)