TeamDrive SecureOffice

TeamDrive SecureOffice

Postby paulreddy » 12 Mar 2014, 04:43

[Not sure where this should go...]

I've installed a copy of TeamDrive SecureOffice, but I'm feeling some disquiet about using it.
With TeamDrive, I have a high degree of confidence that my data is encrypted on the desktop
before delivery to TD servers. It can only be decrypted when it returns to my desktop. That is,
TD cannot decrypt the data, and no mistake on their part will release my data to the world.
[My company's customers include Banks, Defence, Govts - I think protecting their data is of
high value to us]

However, when I look at the TeamDrive SO page, I see the same language used by
normal cloud storage vendors e.g. how they encrypt end-to-end (in transit?). With most vendors, that language
is used to obsfucate the real problem of unprotected data in the DataCenter.

Here's the language from the TD SO website:
With TeamDrive SecureOffice, shared documents will never leave the app’s secure environment. No matter when, where or on which mobile device you access and send data from, TeamDrive SecureOffice will provide complete end-to-end encryption; the data are never left unsecured. In comparison to other cloud-based solutions, who often times transmit data in an unencrypted form, TeamDrive uses 256-bit AES end-to-end encryption to transmit data and is the first solution of its kind to provide complete end-to-end encryption and document editing in a single app.

It does talk about the data being encrypted, but they don't use the key language that TD uses, such as:
No access to the data transferred from the TeamDrive client is possible. All 256 bit AES keys, in order to gain data access, are stored solely on the client computer. Amazon, other third parties and the US National Security Agency have no possibility to decrypt stored data. Decryption during runtime is also not possible.

Perhaps I'm just being paronoid? Can someone from TD chime in here - does the use of TD SO weaken
their protection of data in any way? Is it possible for any 3rd parties to view the data (including
TD and the developers behind SO (whoever they may be).

Thx.
paulreddy

Re: TeamDrive SecureOffice

Postby Kenneth » 12 Mar 2014, 14:51

TeamDrive SecureOffice is a TeamDrive app that comes equipped with a built-in document handling app. The security and encryption are the same. With the normal TD app opening a file require the file to leave TD's secure area and go to another app within the system of your mobile device. TDSO prevents this since the file does not need to leave the secure area of the app. So to your question, TDSO actually enhances the security. That was the purpose behind the development of the app. Users don't have to download external apps and worry about compatibility or what the external app is doing with their data. Now your data does not have to leave the TD app. As mentioned before, it's still a TeamDrive app so the same security features, like the ones you quoted, apply.
Kenneth

Re: TeamDrive SecureOffice

Postby paulreddy » 14 Mar 2014, 04:07

Great! Thanks for the response.
paulreddy

Return to Feedback