when will those missing feature become available ?

when will those missing feature become available ?

Postby santo » 03 Dec 2008, 21:39

I'm a Teamdrive 1.4 user since more than a year but because of some shortcoming I still can't use it for all my needs.
That's why I am looking forward to Teamdrive 2, but at the moment there are still some features missing:
1) ability to define you own webdav server
2) linux version of the teamdrive client

=> Any timeframe on when they will become available ?

Another issue I'm currently having with the 1.4 version is really bad performance in some use cases.
For example I want to use teamdrive to sync projects between multiple development environments.
This means:
- lots of files (thousands of files per project)
- large sizes (up to several gigs)
- files that are frequently/continuously changing (e.g.compilation of source code: entire folders are emptied and then populated again)
- etc

=> Teamdirve v1.4 is not usable for this type of syncing because opening the eclipse IDE takes a very long time to complete, compiling source code takes hours to complete, ...
Any ideas if this is improved in v2 ?
santo

Re: when will those missing feature become available ?

Postby Stephan » 04 Dec 2008, 14:50

Hi Santo

As a professional software developer you should use SVN for software projects which has a tight integration into the eclipse ide. Of course compiled code should not be synchronized but only source code. This is correctly configured if you share a project from the eclipse ide. I like TeamDrive 2.0 but would never use it to synchronize a development enviroment and i think even the TeamDrive people neither do.

TeamDrive is useful for sharing documents like office files and I'm also waiting eagerly for TeamDrive 2.0 Linux.
Stephan

Postby santo » 05 Dec 2008, 10:22

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your suggestion.
However, I am already using svn for all my projects as you suggest.
But what I really want to do (and currently doing with another product) is to share my svn working copies accross my own computers.
This makes my life much easier while switching between my desktop / laptop / vmware images all the time (for development).
One way is to commit all the changes I have made on one system (e.g. my desktop pc) before starting to use another system (e.g. my laptop),
then update the working copy of that other system (e.g. my laptop) before I can start developing on it.
When finished on that system and switching to another system again (e.g. a vmware image) again I have to commit the changes made on my laptop
and update the working copy on my vmware image before I can start developing on that system.

I know that's the way svn works, but what I don't like in my situation is:
1) When switching between different systems all the time (sometimes several times a day) it becomes frustrating having to commit on one system and the update on the other system before continuing your work.
2) I have to commit half finished code all the time, which brakes the repository for myself and all other users.

So currently I put my svn working copies in a folder that is shared with MS Foldershare.
This works perfectly, but the major problem with Foldershare is that it doesn't support linux.
Apart from that I would also love to have a system that supports versioning itself, which makes it easy to get back a previous version of a file in my svn working copy in case I or the sync software make(s) a mistake somehow.
And this is a feature that is readily available in Teamdrive.

So by syncing my files accross my development systems, I have identical development environments on all those systems
(including svn working copies, eclipse workspaces, etc)
This has obviously several advantages:
- eclipse settings are the same on all systems (including run configurations, configured java runtimes, etc)
- modified source code is available automatically without disturbing other users by committing unfinished code
- even output files (e.g. logfiles, xml dumps, ...) are instantly available on all systems
- when one of the systems crashes, nothing - and I really mean nothing - related to your development environment is lost and you can easily switch to a different system to continue developing.
santo

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 10 Dec 2008, 21:16

Hi Santo,

with the TeamDrive 2.0 release in January we hope to satisfy many of your needs.

The support of your own webdav server will be availible in January 2009
We do have an alpha Linux version running. It runs fine under Gnome, but we need to do some work for KDE. We do plan a release version in Q1 2009. Sorry that I cannot be more precise. If you are interested in partitipating in our Linux Beta, just let us know.

The transfer of thousands of files will be dramatically faster with our new TeamDrive2 protocol. Unfortunately that is not availible for webdav.
In future releases we will providing special file handling options. More details at a later stage.

Best regards
Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby santo » 11 Dec 2008, 22:31

Hi Detlef,

Thanks for the information.

I'm definitely willing to testdrive the linux beta, but if I understand you correctly the performance improvements in v2 will only be available
when using the Teamdrive servers, which is a paid service
So if that means that the performance in combination with own servers (supposedly only webdav as ftp won't be available anymore) isn't considerably faster in comparison to 1.4
then I'm afraid I'll have to look for another solution :(
As I said before the performance of 1.4 is really bad for my use cases (in combination with my own webdav server that is)

Maybe you should increase the free space offered on your servers ?
100MB really isn't that much (dropbox for example provides up to 2GB for free !)

Santo
santo

Postby Patrik.Dusek » 23 Dec 2008, 16:33

Hi Santo,

the performance in TD2 is even with the old protocol much higher then it was in TD1.
The improvements are also working with WebDAV servers. Just give it a try and
you will see.

Best regards,
Patrik
Patrik.Dusek
TeamDrive Team Member

WebDAV Support is now availible

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 24 Dec 2008, 00:49

Santo,

with our new release of TeamDrive 2.0 Build 210 you can now create access keys for your own WebDAV server.

Our tests with GMX.DE WebDAV shows very good bandwidth and performance.

Look at the menue "Extras" -> "Stettings" -> Server Access , here you can create your personal server access keys.

Please let us know what you think.

Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby santo » 04 Feb 2009, 11:58

First of all my apologies for the late response but I became father in the meantime (for the second time), which implies that I haven't much free time at the moment :mrgreen:

But I managed to do some tests with the latest build in combination with my own webdav server and I must admit that the performance is indeed much much better in comparison to v1.4 !
I still need to do some more thorough tests to be sure that the performance remains acceptable in all my use cases, but it seems very promising.

One question though: how can i delete a webdav depot ?
I created one for testing purposes but I can't find out how to remove it from the list.
=> "Preferences -> Server Access" only allows to create depots, not to delete them

Santo
santo

Re: WebDAV Performance

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 04 Feb 2009, 20:07

Santo, congratulation to your new child birth! :D This is always a great step in your life.

And also thanks for your response in terms of the improved performance.

Tomorrow we will upload our new 2.1 beta release which has a number of new features and further performance improvements.

It is compatible with TeamDrive 2.0 that means that a team can mix 2.0 and 2.1 clients.

regards
detef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Return to Feedback