Space of TeamDrive

Space of TeamDrive

Postby jkoecher » 14 Jan 2009, 22:07

Hi there,

using TeamDrive for over a week now and I am very fascinated. - I installed TeamDrive on two different computers, but the used space is displayed differently.

Computer 1: SharedSpace 1 (167MB) and 2 (262) => Used SharedSpace: 514 / 50%. That does not really add up exactly, but seems okay.
Computer 2: SharedSpace 1 (167MB) and 3 (147) => Used SharedSpace: 377MB / 36%. That does not add up exactly, but seems okay.

As both computers are running with my user account, I would have thought the disk sizes on your side would have been added up (e.g. .
But is it correct that the "SharedSpace Information" of 1GB is assigned per installed computer?!

When using the button "upgrade", the spaceID of a specific space is displayed.

So, I am a bit confused on how that is calculated.

Thanks for your help,
Jochen.
jkoecher

Re: Space of TeamDrive

Postby jkoecher » 15 Jan 2009, 10:26

Now, what is interesting, that this morning, also Computer 2 shows:
Computer 2: SharedSpace 1 (167MB) and 3 (147) => Used SharedSpace: 514MB / 50%.

Well, this confuses me even more.

In various articles, I've read something about the premium/basic version and 1GB included. But I am sure never to have entered a key.
When will TeamDrive have a pricing structure ready?! Building up a business, I would need to know what cost there will be invovled, e.g. just for the basic usage (say own WebDav server)?!

Kind regards,
Jochen.
jkoecher

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 15 Jan 2009, 13:55

To resolve the confusion, let me explain the basic concept.

Every user (or alternatively a company) receives a Server Access Key to use as a Relay- and Backup server. Such a key comes pre-installed as the default key with every new client installation. In case a user installs TeamDrive on 3 computers with his username, this default key will stay the same. In case the user installs 3 different usernames each user would get his own personal access key installed.

Paired with the Server Access Key is the amount of server space which the user is allowed to use. Our Beta users received 1 GB and new installs will receive 100 MB free server space pre-installed. Additional space can be purchased online and the existing key will be expanded dynamically. (the price tag will be 39 € for 5 GB per year). Alterantively each user can create his own Server Access Key for his own WebDAV server and in this case it is cost free to TeamDrive for unlimited use. Our detailed price information will be up on the website within the next couple of days.

As a result a user can create multiple SharedSpaces using the same Server Access Key. In the "Details View" (Slider open) of each space the user will see the owner of the space (= owner of the Server Access Key), the amont of used space on the server for this Server Access Key and its monthly used traffic. The amount shown here, is the amount of all memory used on the server with this Server Access Key. It shows only how much spcae there is still availible to use! It does not show you how large this individual space is, on the server.

If you would only have one SharedSpace and only single versions of each file, typically as an average the spce on the server would be arround half the size of would your local file system tells you. Thats because of the automatic compression of the files before we upload them. The more versions of each file you have the bigger the size of the used server space you will see, while you only see the current files in the file system. Microsoft Word documents in many cases can be compressed 90%. If you collect files in the Trash of the Shared Space, these files are also still on the file server and not in your local folder in your file system.

So it is very difficult to compare what is on the server and what it in your file system. But at the end on 2 or more synced computers you should always have the exact same documents and versions. The number of files and sub-folders in each Space shall be identical. (even here sometimes you can see temporarely local tempfiles which we do not synchronise as they will be deleted by the local application)

I hope this explaination solches your questions.
Best regards
Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby jkoecher » 15 Jan 2009, 14:23

Dear Detlef,

thank you very much for your detailed and very complete answer. - For some reason, one of my PCs didn't synchronize the size information last night, but it did so this morning. But what you write make sense and explains what I experience. So, no confusion left! :)

I was using Microsoft Office Groove for some time, I very much welcome the alternative you created...

I realized this entry might be wrong in this forum "Release notes". So if you want/can move it to a proper place, please go ahead.

Thanks and keep the good work up! :!:
Jochen.
jkoecher

Return to Feedback