How to move from one WEBDAV server to another? (TD4.6)

Questions and information regarding TeamDrive supported WebDAV servers - Fragen und Informationen zu von TeamDrive unterstützten WebDAV-Servern

How to move from one WEBDAV server to another? (TD4.6)

Postby TeamD » 30 Jan 2019, 22:25

Hey Teamdrive fans,

After searching back and forth, I still couldn't find anywhere what is the best way / steps to move from one WEBDAV server to another one (here: HiDrive Strato) with an actual Teamdrive software (like TD release V4.6)

a) Can I just change/update the WEBDAV server credentials in the TD settings on all clients and it does the rest by itself?
b) Do I need to download all data to all devices again (!?) from the new WEBDAV server after I uploaded it from one client?
c) What can I do when I changed (different) data on 2 devices, do I need to sync them manually and upload then the master data from one client, download it afterwards from the new WEBDAV server to the second client?

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Cheers,
Tom
TeamD

Re: How to move from one WEBDAV server to another? (TD4.6)

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 31 Jan 2019, 19:09

Hi Tom,

a) changing the WevDAV Server credentials in our TeamDrive Client will distribute the new credentials to all Space Members. This is basically meant that you can change your password at the WebDAV Server (i.e. Strato) and your team can continue to work, without telling your password to your team members.
This mechanism also works in case your Server has a new URL.

b) it is always recommended to fully sync all your data to your client, before your change something on your WebDAV server. In theory you can copy your TeamDrive repository (all encrypted files stored on your WebDAV server) from one server to another server and then publish the new credentials. This only works if the migration includes all files and keeps the folder structure. You need to make sure that no client disturbs you operation. I would recommend that you change the password on your old WebDAV Server first. This way no TeamDrive Client can connect to your Repository.

c) In case of a migration describes above, all disconnected clients will perform there local tasks and store the local changes until they receive the new server URL and then they will continue to upload and sync where they stopped before.
In case you create a new space and upload all file from your local client, you need to invite all users, they download your file and then they need to upload missing files manually. TeamDrive cannot merge different locations.

Good luck
Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby TeamD » 03 Feb 2019, 17:54

Hi Detlef,

Many thanks for your detailed reply which helped me a lot!!!

ad a) This is very cool and after I checked on my clients I realized that the server credentials were changed automatically (without me) which is pretty awesome!

ad b) Strato just "cut" the connection to my old server space because I didn't make it in time to switch to the new server before the old server space was lost. Therefore migrating the repository is not an option anymore. This way it happened that I changed files on two clients at the same time but only a few.

ad c) what is kind of strange right now, it seems that only the files which I'm right now working on get uploaded/synced but not the rest?! Meaning I have only used 40MB on the WEBDAV server right now (when I look it up on the hidrive web interface) and it seems nothing is happening in regard of the "untouched files" but in reality I have around 50 GB (!) which I want to have synced (and backed up) on the WEBDAV serverspace!?! The activity log also shows only activity for new/changed files... :?:

What do I need to do now that I also get all "untouched files" uploaded to the WEBDAV server? :?:

Many thanks again!!!
Tom
TeamD

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 03 Feb 2019, 18:14

Tom, not really sure what the problem is.

You created a new Space on the new WebDAV server (Strato HiDrive) right? In that case your TeamDrive Client will upload all files in the folder (Space). The size on Strato might be smaller than on the local file system as TeamDrive compresses the files before encrypting and uploading them.

You can find all information in the Space activity and the Space information (Göße und Dateien).

You need to invite your team members in the new Space and need to join the new Space on your other devices.

Best
Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby TeamD » 03 Feb 2019, 18:38

Hi Detlef,

Many thanks for the quick reply and sorry for bothering you! But it's really bugging me because there must be an easy way...

I just changed the WEBDAV server path & credentials to the new server in the settings and also for all spaces (on one client which was automatically distributed to all other clients and which worked like a charm).
(I did NOT delete the existing space(s) and set up new space(s)).

My question is: How can I upload my files to the new WEBDAV server once, without having to download them again to all clients because the files are already there on all clients?!
(As I understood it so far, when I delete and set up a new space, I have to download all files on all (!) clients again which I don't want...)

Any idea?

Many thanks again!!!

Best,
Tom
TeamD

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 03 Feb 2019, 19:08

Wrong decision. With changing the Server URL to a new WebDav Server (which is empty) your Space will never be intact, it is corrupt and will only work partially. There is no intelligence on the WebDAV server. Your TeamDrive Client thinks that old files are on the server and only uploads changes. You need to create a new Space to continue. There is no way your TeamDrive client repairs your Space and checks and compares all files from your team members.

You need to create a new Space and invite everybody in to the new Space. Your team member can use the old data as a local backup and join the new Space without the need to download all files.

In case you have a Professional license our team at TeamDrive will explain such join mode.

BR
Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Return to WebDAV Server - WebDAV-Server