file count limit?

Questions and information regarding the Mac OS X desktop client - Fragen und Informationen zum Mac OS X Desktop-Client

file count limit?

Postby systemverwalter » 18 Mar 2010, 11:54

Hi,

is there a limit on how many files can be in a space?
We have over 46000 files in one of our spaces (we cannot split the space because of the needed folder structure). The wired thing is Teamdrive.app always sais it's 32036 files, while a synced machine claims 26719 files.
Am I missing something or is just the number wrong and I should not worry. (it's hard to find the difference in these amount of files until it's too late and you just need that one file that is missing.)
We're using the Personal edition.

Thank you!

Greetings from Germany
Christoph

P.S.: Your teamdrive app still has com.yourcompany.teamdrive as it's identifier. You can change that in the Info.plist. Please remember that this means you have to ad code to migrate old preferences from the com.yourcompany.teamdrive.plist to net.teamdrive.teamdrive.plist
systemverwalter

Re: file count limit?

Postby volkeroboda » 18 Mar 2010, 16:30

Hi,

there is no limit for files and folders in one space. The the OS is counting files could be different to the way how TeamDrive is counting. TeamDrive counts only files no folders. That you have only 26719 files on the synced machine could be a problem of to long path names. What version are you using? We have a new TeamDrive 2.2.101 with no more limits in the path length. The number of files shown in the side windows should be the same on both machines.

Greetings from Germany too

Volker Oboda
volkeroboda
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby systemverwalter » 25 Mar 2010, 11:38

Hello Volker,

thanks for your answer.

It might be that we are just on teh edge of what TeamDrive can live with, as our data seems to provoke a lot of bugs wit hTeamDrive and I would love to provide you with all the information to make TeamDrive rock solid.

So here is our situation and the bugs I noticed with it:
In our folder we had many names that contained what TeamDrive called "illegal characters"
- files with a "/" or a ";" in them
- files that ended on a " " or a "."
The first one was solved with a search and replace using automator.

The second however seems unsolvable so far and cause the following problems:
1) we renamed the folders by removing that last ".": Those files are still reported to contain illegal characters
2) we renamed the folders by removing that last " ": those folders were recreated and the files from the renamed folders were moved over (most of the time) some times however the files were left in that folder and additionally redownloaded to the newly created folder with the old illegal-character-including folder
3) for all those folders that got back their old name we added the extension _remove_ to it so we can now find these folders once we know what to do with them. - These folder are still showing up as illegal characters with their old name in the message

And finally we get a message two times that a path is too long and exceeds 237 characters even though it is way shorter. (and it is version 2.2.101)

Can I send you our logs somehow and you can come back to me with questions so you can resolve these issues for TeamDrive?

All the best
Christoph
systemverwalter

Postby volkeroboda » 25 Mar 2010, 14:38

Hi
I think, we fixt the problems with teh new TeamDrive Version 2.2.114 beta. Please try it.

Thank you and best regards
Volker Oboda
volkeroboda
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby noahsam » 27 Feb 2014, 14:35

Long Path Tool could help you in this situation, for more info you may check PathTooDeep.
Good luck!
noahsam

Return to Mac OS X