Sync with dual boot Linux/Windows system

Questions and information regarding the Linux desktop client - Fragen und Informationen zum Linux Desktop-Client

Sync with dual boot Linux/Windows system

Postby Ephore » 14 Oct 2013, 10:26

Hello,

I have some problems to set up my spaces for a dual boot Linux/Windows system. My computer has 3 partitions: one for Linux, one for Windows, and one for my data. I save all my files in the data partition, so that I can access my files both in Linux and Windows. I installed TeamDrive in my Windows partition and placed the default Space location in my data partition. Then, I installed TeamDrive in Linux. The problem is that
- I can't place my default Space location in my data partition (/media/Data/Spaces) : I get the error "The volume is unknown"
- if I create a space in Windows and sync it, I will be asked in my Linux partition to join the space. So it will be duplicated, and I will have 2 copies on the same computer, but on different OS.

So, is there a way to locate the spaces in a partition that is different from the OS partition ? And is it possible to avoid the duplicates between Windows and Linux ?
Ephore

Re: Sync with dual boot Linux/Windows system

Postby Sebastian Philipp » 14 Oct 2013, 11:48

Hi Ephore,

it is not possible to use two TeamDrive installations to synchronize one Space folder. TeamDrive is meant to be used the other way around: it is synchronizing a Space across different installations. You will need two copies of your Space, one for Linux and one for Windows.

Could you please search for a line like "unsupported super magic ..." in your TeamDrive log files located in ~/.teamdrive/logs and post it here? thank you.

Best Regards,

Sebastian Philipp
Sebastian Philipp
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby Ephore » 15 Oct 2013, 13:19

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I didn't find the line you mentioned. The log is available here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvbgerkx6t51hvb/20130928_160051_log.log (couldn't attach the log to this post...)

I'll explain my situation in more details. I have 2 computers, each of which has a dual boot system for Linux and Windows. My data on each computer are accessible from both OS since they are in a separate partition. I would like to synchronize my data between these computers, which is why I am trying to set up TeamDrive. But, I want to be able to synchronize my file from Linux and Windows, without having any duplicate of my data on the same machine (because my data can be quite heavy, and duplicates will lead to a memory waste on my hard drive). From what you are saying, the last part (avoid duplicates between Linux/Windows on the same machine) is not possible, is it ? In this case, I will only use TeamDrive on Linux, but I still can't access my data partition (/media/Data)...
Ephore

Postby ghbmail » 19 May 2017, 02:08

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to revive it because working propely in a dual boot scenario is a must have feature. Like the OP, I have a separate, encrypted partition I use to store my data on, which I work on in both Linux and Windows. With almost any other syncing software I have used it is a simple matter to setup a sync folder on one OS, then import the folder on a new installation in the other OS on the same machine.

I get what you're saying about Teamdrive not being for syncing between OSes, but that's not really the point. Team drive shouldn't sync between OSes, the data on the local machine is the same regardless of the OS which is in use - as long as there is only one copy - The point of having team drive is to be able to access the same files on another computer and/or share them with other employees.

I am disappointed that this doesn't seem possible with Teamdrive, as it means I will have to find another solution (and tresorit is too expensive).
ghbmail

Postby Kenneth » 19 May 2017, 09:39

ghbmail wrote:The point of having team drive is to be able to access the same files on another computer and/or share them with other employees.
This is exactly what my colleague said. The difference between the point of the OP and his is that the folder being synchronized cannot be shared. As long as both operating systems do not share the same data directory and or Space, everything should be fine.For example, syncing a phone and a laptop. The data is the same on both devices but both operating systems aren't saving the data on the same machine in the same location i.e. a shared storage location.

However, it is possible that one may be able to setup this scenario, however we do not support it. If you setup this scenario you would be doing so at your own risk.

A possible alternative would be to have one client installation, on one of your operating systems, which syncs the folder. That should work. However, the data will be synced to the server once the OS with the TD installation has been started i.e. as long as TeamDrive is running. This would be similar to what other users do when syncing a Space stored on a network drive. One client converts the folder stored on the network drive into the Space and all other users of the network drive access the folder without a TeamDrive installation and make changes to the file. As long as the client, which identifies the network drive folder as a Space, is running and has access to the network drive all changes made are synced to the server.
Kenneth

Return to Linux