Just installed, but cannot publish; other questions

Questions and information regarding the Linux desktop client - Fragen und Informationen zum Linux Desktop-Client

Just installed, but cannot publish; other questions

Postby drevans » 05 Feb 2016, 00:22

Since copy.com is going away, I am looking for a replacement, and TeamDrive looks like a good candidate. But I am having difficulty understanding how to publish a file.

The page at:
https://www.teamdrive.com/en/features-overview/
says that "Publication of individual files by URL (not possible in conjunction with WebDAV servers)" is possible with both the free and the professional version of Teamdrive.

So I installed the software to try it. I believe that I have correctly created a space, and placed a small file in it. But I can't see how to publish the file :-(

I can't attach a screenshot because KDE seems to disallow screenshots when a menu is on screen; anyway, there I see a menu item "Publish Version...", but it is greyed out.

Perhaps the test file has not yet been uploaded... I don't see anything in the manual that explains how I know whether a file has been uploaded correctly. As you can see from the attached screenshot, there is a little yellow circle next to the filename. I can't find anything in the documentation to tell me what the yellow circle means, but, guessing, the fact that it's yellow might mean that he file has not been uploaded. In which case, how do I upload the file? (And, how do I control the bandwidth used during synchronization operations?)

Lots of questions. Sorry. TeamDrive seems to work quite differently from other file synchronization products I've used, and the documentation seems to be missing some basic explanations.
Attachments
teamdrive-1.jpeg
One file in the Space; what does the yellow circle mean, and how do I publish the file?
drevans

Re: Just installed, but cannot publish; other questions

Postby Kenneth » 05 Feb 2016, 14:48

Which basic information is missing in the documentation? It is explained in both the TeamDrive 3 and TeamDrive 4 manuals how publishing files work. In the TeamDrive 3 manual it is also explained that you need a professional license to publish files. This is not the case in TeamDrive 4. In the TeamDrive 3 manual the icons are generally explained in the icon glossary. Maybe you were looking in the TeamDrive 4 manual. Here is a link to the TeamDrive 3 manual if that's what you need. https://dhj1kncf18w7e.cloudfront.net/tutorials/en/td3/TeamDrive3-Manual-Client-EN.pdf

Also, the questions you have asked are also already mentioned on the forum. In the future, please try searching the forum to check if some of your questions have already been answered.

If you decide to download TeamDrive 4, the instructional manual is available on our website and is also posted here in the forum. You can just search for publishing files or follow the link to the manual.

http://forum.teamdrive.net/viewforum.php?f=25
Kenneth

Postby drevans » 06 Feb 2016, 18:07

If you decide to download TeamDrive 4, the instructional manual is available on our website and is also posted here in the forum. You can just search for publishing files or follow the link to the manual.

I couldn't see how to download TeamDrive 4, which is why I downloaded Teamdrive 3. When I go to the download page (http://archiv.teamdrive.net/download.html), all I am offered is version 3. I would gladly download version 4, if I knew how to do so.

The page https://www.teamdrive.com/en/features-overview/ makes no mention of the fact that it doesn't apply to teamdrive 3. It specifically says the following:
Operating systems supported: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android, iOS for both free and professional
and
Publication of individual files by URL (not possible in conjunction with WebDAV servers) for both free and professional

So from this I know that it is possible to publish; I just can't figure how to download TeamDrive4, as the download page takes me to TeamDrive3.
drevans

Postby Kenneth » 08 Feb 2016, 12:21

drevans wrote:The page https://www.teamdrive.com/en/features-overview/ makes no mention of the fact that it doesn't apply to teamdrive 3. It specifically says the following:
Operating systems supported: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android, iOS for both free and professional

It is possible to publish files on both TD3 and TD4. In TD3 a professional license was required in order to publish files. In TD4 this license restriction has been removed. Users with free licenses now have all the features of users with professional licenses.

Unfortunately, TD4 is not yet publicly available for Linux, this is why you are always taken to a TD3 download page. I was hoping you possibly used TeamDrive on multiple devices and had the possibility of downloading TeamDrive 4 on another device. TD3 and 4 are fully compatible so it would not be a problem to use them in conjunction with one another.
Kenneth

Postby drevans » 08 Feb 2016, 18:09

Unfortunately, TD4 is not yet publicly available for Linux

OK. Thank you for your reply. It's a pity that the features page does not mention that some of the tick marks do not apply to Linux. I shall go look at other companies that provide more features for Linux users.
drevans

Postby Kenneth » 09 Feb 2016, 13:55

It's not that the features do not apply to Linux. The TeamDrive 4 client is not yet available for Linux.

The differences I mentioned in my earlier posts are differences between the TeamDrive 3 and TeamDrive 4 clients. The differences are not operating specific, but rather client specific, in that with TD3 you need a professional license for professional features and in TD4 these features are not unlocked for all users regardless of the license type.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Kenneth

Return to Linux