Symbolic links are not synced!

Share with the community, how you use TeamDrive - Berichten Sie mit eigenen Worten, wie Sie TeamDrive benutzen

Symbolic links are not synced!

Postby dclong » 05 Apr 2014, 03:16

I found that TeamDrive doesn't sync my symbolic links. Is this a bug?
dclong

Re: Symbolic links are not synced!

Postby Kenneth » 07 Apr 2014, 15:21

No it is not. TeamDrive doesn't sync symbolic links.
Kenneth

Postby dclong » 07 Apr 2014, 20:59

But I think it's nice have symbolic files themselves (not following symbolic links to sync the files that are pointed to) synced. Symbolic links are used very often in Linux. Many configuration files use symbolic links. Image that I sync my configuration files which have symbolic links via TeamDrive. Then bang! It doesn't work!

Kenneth wrote:No it is not. TeamDrive doesn't sync symbolic links.
dclong

Postby LenzGr » 25 Apr 2014, 14:49

dclong wrote:But I think it's nice have symbolic files themselves (not following symbolic links to sync the files that are pointed to) synced. Symbolic links are used very often in Linux. Many configuration files use symbolic links. Image that I sync my configuration files which have symbolic links via TeamDrive. Then bang! It doesn't work!

Usually, you would store the actual configuration files in your TeamDrive space, and use symbolic links in place of the actual configuration file. For example, you would put /etc/foo.conf in /home/dclong/Space/Configfiles/foo.conf and replace /etc/foo.conf with a symbolic link, pointing to the actual file location: /etc/foo.conf -> /home/dclong/Space/Configfiles/foo.conf - this works perfectly fine.

I agree it would be nice if TeamDrive would honor symbolic links and one could choose how to handle them (e.g. follow the link and sync the actual file vs. preserving the symlink).
However, not all operating systems support this type of "file" - a symlink pointing to /etc/foo.conf would not make much sense on any other platform.

Lenz
LenzGr

Return to Use Cases - Anwenderberichte