new user deletes all data automatically after joining space

Questions and information regarding the Windows desktop client - Fragen und Informationen zum Windows Desktop-Client

new user deletes all data automatically after joining space

Postby adriaan » 29 May 2012, 11:33

I'm experiencing a very serious problem, every time a new user joins one of my Spaces on Teamdrive.

After the new user joins, the synchronisation starts and somehow all files in that Space are automatically deleted by the new user. Obviously, the new user doesn't actually delete all the files, so it seems like the synchronisation is performed in the wrong direction. So Teamdrive assumes that the files in the Spaces should be overwritten by the files on the computer of the new user (there are no files yet!) and it starts deleting all the files in the Space. The only way to stop this process is to turn off the synchronisation on the computer of the new user. The only way to get these files back, is to restore the Recycle Bin.

Somehow this problem does not occur with all new users ans I can't figure out a pattern like 'it only happens with new users working on a notebook'. It occurred with some users with a notebook, some with a desktop computer and it sometimes happened with a user that already had TeamDrive installed on his desktop and also installed it on his notebook.

It looks like something is wrong in my settings, but I can't figure it out.

I'm using Teamdrive version 2.4.137. I invited the new users with Read/Write permissions. The Spacetype is 'Keep all versions on server', and I'm using a Teamdrive server to store the data.

It would be nice to see whether someone is also experiencing these problems, and what the solution is!

If you need more info, I'll be happy to provide it to you!
adriaan

Re: new user deletes all data automatically after joining sp

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 29 May 2012, 16:27

This sound very much like an in-experienced user, creating the problem.
TeamDrive watches a folder in your file system. If a new user accepts the invitation of a space and after downloading the files and folder, moves a folder in the file system to a different location, TeamDrive interprets that move as a delete.
Users should never move documents or folders away from a Space.

If you want to move a complete space to a different location, do the following.
- Stop TeamDrive (quit)
- Move the Space to a new location on your hard drive (same volume)
- Start TeamDrive and answer the question "where can teamdrive find the space in the file system"

-Detlef

BTW: you are using a very old version of TeamDrive. I recommend to download the latest TeamDrive 2.4 Version (Build 161) and update your client.
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Re: new user deletes all data automatically after joining sp

Postby adriaan » 06 Jul 2012, 14:29

The problem does not concern the users (they did not move any folders or files). Teamdrive support told me that it could be a problem with the local virusscanner, that deletes files from Teamdrive's TransferIn and TransferOut folders.

So excluding those folders from the scanprocess of your local virusscanner should solve the problem. It seems to be working so far!

Many thanks to the professional and quick feedback from Teamdrive (by telephone and on this forum)!
adriaan

Return to Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10