Empty trash

Questions and information regarding the Windows desktop client - Fragen und Informationen zum Windows Desktop-Client

Empty trash

Postby mudderkage » 03 Oct 2012, 00:16

When I right-click on Trash in a space and choose Empty Trash then I see a pop-up window saying Deleting Folder (and then all the folder names).
After that, the Space information hasn't changed. I am still using the same storage amount on the server.

Then I try right-click on a single big file and choose Delete on server nothing happens.

Some files has the "File has been deleted" icon.
Other files has the "File state unconfirmed" icon.

I don't understand why Empty Trash doesn't immediately remove all trash from the client?
No reason to wait for anything to finish uploading/downloading/whatever.

Can anyone explain the behaviour?

Best regards
Jan
Attachments
TD.JPG
mudderkage

Re: Empty trash

Postby Kenneth » 04 Oct 2012, 12:24

Hi Jan,

Are you the Administrator of the Space folder where you are attempting to empty the trash?

Since your last post, are the files still located in the Space's trash can?

When you click 'delete on server', a message is sent to the server telling the server that this file should be deleted from the server (you should notice there is activity on the upload bar in the bottom-right corner of the client). The file is then deleted from the server (the size of the file affects the speed of this process, smaller files, of course, will be deleted a lot faster in most cases).

The file is then removed from every client connected to the Space folder. When you are offline you do not have the possibility of emptying the trash or permanently deleting anything.

The file deletion process is not 'instantaneous' as it is locally on your computer (i.e., emptying the recycle bin on Windows). Communication with the server takes place and, as it is locally on your machine, the size of the file plays a role in the speed of its deletion. Once things are deleted on the server your client should re-sync and show that the files have been removed.

I hope this was helpful for you.

Regards,

Kenneth
Kenneth

Postby mudderkage » 06 Oct 2012, 01:17

Kenneth wrote:Are you the Administrator of the Space folder where you are attempting to empty the trash?

Yes, I am the administrator of the Space.
I can't make TeamDrive work on-line, so I haven't tried to use it off-line yet.
The files were all still located in the Space's trash can today.

I am guessing I might have synchronized the same files from 2 different clients, so there are 2 or more versions on the server taking up extra storage.
The problem is that I am out of server storage, so I have tried deleting files and emptying trash for almost a week now.
Nothing helps.
I still don't understand how emptying the trash can be done many times in a row without files disappearing in my view.
I also don't understand how emptying the trash can be a non-instantaneous action.

I bought the Pro client and 10 Gb storage for 1 month to test if TeamDrive could be usefull for me.
So far the test result says no... or I have made some mistake that messed everything up.
I have to move on, so today I logged in on the website, and deleted the Space.
Now at least server storage is released, so I can start over.

Thanks a lot for your time and advise.

rgds
Jan
mudderkage

Postby Kenneth » 08 Oct 2012, 12:56

mudderkage wrote:
Kenneth wrote:Are you the Administrator of the Space folder where you are attempting to empty the trash?

Yes, I am the administrator of the Space.
I can't make TeamDrive work on-line, so I haven't tried to use it off-line yet.
The files were all still located in the Space's trash can today.

I am guessing I might have synchronized the same files from 2 different clients, so there are 2 or more versions on the server taking up extra storage.
The problem is that I am out of server storage, so I have tried deleting files and emptying trash for almost a week now.
Nothing helps.
I still don't understand how emptying the trash can be done many times in a row without files disappearing in my view.
I also don't understand how emptying the trash can be a non-instantaneous action.

I bought the Pro client and 10 Gb storage for 1 month to test if TeamDrive could be usefull for me.
So far the test result says no... or I have made some mistake that messed everything up.
I have to move on, so today I logged in on the website, and deleted the Space.
Now at least server storage is released, so I can start over.

Thanks a lot for your time and advise.

rgds
Jan

The emptying of the trash is 'non-instantaneous' in the sense that communication with the server must take place before the file is deleted. If you're using TeamDrive with no internet connection and you try to delete a file it will not be deleted, at least, not from the server.

I am not sure as to which version of TeamDrive you are using but I recommend updating to the latest version of TeamDrive if you have not already done so.

Your concern about storage. TeamDrive stores versions files. When you edit a file and it is synced with the server, a new version is created. Each version that is stored on the server takes up Space. TeamDrive can store an unlimited amount of versions. The amount of versions stored can be changed only in Pro versions.

I'm not sure if you had a lot of versions of some of the bigger files you were storing but this could have possibly been a reason why you were running low on space so quickly. I see there was a file in your trashcan that was 1.6GB. If you had 3 or 4 versions of that file it could explain where all your Space went.

Regards,

Kenneth
Kenneth

Postby mudderkage » 08 Oct 2012, 15:09

Thanks for info.

What is the amount of versions stored if I change from Pro to Personal license?

rgds
Jan
mudderkage

Postby Kenneth » 08 Oct 2012, 16:12

An unlimited amount. It can only be limited in the Pro version.
Kenneth

Postby hasondea » 08 May 2013, 09:09

What is the amount of versions stored if I change from Pro to Personal license?

Return to Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10