Exclude files

Questions and information regarding the Windows desktop client - Fragen und Informationen zum Windows Desktop-Client

Exclude files

Postby c273 » 17 Oct 2012, 22:10

I can create a TD space from a Windows directory but can I also exclude particular files in that directory and/or sub-directories from being replicated and synchronised?

Many thanks
c273

Re: Exclude files

Postby Kenneth » 19 Oct 2012, 13:30

I believe you are interested in setting up a filter.

I provided an explanation for that in my last post in the following thread:

http://forum.teamdrive.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2206
Kenneth

Postby c273 » 19 Oct 2012, 17:24

Yes - this seems to be the solution.

However, as it is a client change, I assume I have to change the filters on every user's PC that has access to this space. Also, even though the file exists on disk, it doesn't show up on the Spaces tab in the TD GUI.

Wouldn't it be better to store this information in the Space itself so that I don't have to add a filter on every PC and so that all files in that space, whether replicated or not, are displayed (potentially with some indication that it is not replicated)?

Thanks
c273

Postby Kenneth » 22 Oct 2012, 11:26

A feature as such is currently unavailable (storing filter information in a Space and have it act as the default filter directory).

You can, however, keep a copy of the the teamdrive.fsfilter file in a Space as a way of sharing it with other clients/PCs. You would, of course, then have to copy the contents of the filter file (or the filter file) to the proper filter location.

The filter works on all files in the Spaces directory. You can't pinpoint a specific Space to filter, only files or sub-folders.

If the file is not showing up on the Spaces tab then it is not being synced. TeamDrive is also set to automatically sync certain files by default. All other filters have to be manually set by the user.
Kenneth

Postby c273 » 22 Oct 2012, 11:47

Thank you.

I was not thinking of "storing filter information in a Space and have it act as the default filter directory" - more of storing the filter information for that particular Space in that Space - i.e. different Spaces could have different (even conflicting) filters.

I see the logic to be that TD first looks in the Space for a filter file, if found it uses it for that space, if not there then it defaults to the 'standard' filter referenced by the "teamdrive.ini" file. Optionally, if specified in that particular filter file, use it as well as the default (something like a special statement at the end of the specific filter to say include the default filter as well).

Also, displaying even non-sync'd files in the Space display (with an icon indicating that it is not automatically sync'd) would immediately show the user that some files have been excluded from automatic synchronisation. This is important as it may be an incorrect filter that needs adjusting.

Would you consider these feature enhancements?
c273

Postby Kenneth » 22 Oct 2012, 12:20

We are considering a method allowing Space specific filtering using one global file, but at the moment it is only a consideration and I cannot promise that it will be implemented. Having multiple filter files could increase the propensity of error.

I'm not sure about showing files in TeamDrive they are not synced. I doubt something like that will be implemented. If a file is not syncing with TeamDrive then it will not show up on the Spaces tab. The user will undoubtedly know that the file is not being synced. The filtered files are excluded from being synced. Not from being 'automatically' synced. Having the file shown on the Spaces tab with an icon saying it has not been synced implies that it can be synced by the click of a button. If that were so, that would, in effect, defeat the purpose of the filter because the file would still be able to be synced or at least appear that way and possibly cause confusion.
Kenneth

Postby c273 » 23 Oct 2012, 13:33

Should you implement Space specific filtering, may I recommend not using one global file but putting it in the Space itself and automatically sync'ing it (without an option for any user to filter it out).

In a multi-user PC environment with limited users, having them edit or have access to a global file is not recommended in a secure environment. However, if they have the correct access to a Space, then the potential damage to the system is very much reduced and only allows them to change configurations of Spaces that they have the correct access.

My point about showing files that are in the Space but are never sync'd is that one can easily see those that are excluded and then remedy the issue if it is a mistake and some should be sync'd. Maybe a menu option to "View excluded files in spaces" so that they are not shown all the time but still can be viewed? Also, another menu option to display current active filters would be good - either as it is today or if Space specific filtering is implemented where more information could be displayed.

Many thanks for considering my requests. Apart from a few issues when upgrading - TD is a great product.
c273

Postby Kenneth » 23 Oct 2012, 13:46

I can't really speak on the structure of how the global filter will be accessible as right now it is only a consideration and not a definite plan to implement. It may be more where filters can be set in through the UI to make filter settings more user friendly or the filter implementation may work as it does now. Again, I am unable to say at the moment.

I understand your point about showing files that are not synced. But what doesn't appear on the Spaces tab is a clear indication of what is not being synced. TeamDrive is set to automatically exclude certain files and any other files that may be excluded would result from a user-created filter. Therefore it is up to the user to be conscious of the filters they have set up on that particular machine.

Thank you for providing positive feedback about our product and taking the time to give thoughtful suggestions.
Kenneth

Postby Michael » 14 Mar 2013, 13:22

Hallo,
funktioniert das ausschließen von Ordnern auch in der Free-Version?

Ich bekomme das nicht hin.

Fragen:
- müssen / oder \ in einem Windowssystem angegeben werden ?
- wenn ich ein Ordern ausschließe, dann sollte dieser auch in TD Space nicht angezeigt werden?
- reicht das "Beenden" von Teamdrive, wenn ich eine Änderung an der Datei teamdrive.fsfilter vornehme?

VG Michael
Michael

Postby Kenneth » 14 Mar 2013, 14:29

Michael wrote:Hallo,
funktioniert das ausschließen von Ordnern auch in der Free-Version?

Ich bekomme das nicht hin.

Fragen:
- müssen / oder \ in einem Windowssystem angegeben werden ?
- wenn ich ein Ordern ausschließe, dann sollte dieser auch in TD Space nicht angezeigt werden?
- reicht das "Beenden" von Teamdrive, wenn ich eine Änderung an der Datei teamdrive.fsfilter vornehme?

VG Michael

http://forum.teamdrive.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1729&p=6389&hilit=filter+dateien#p6389
Kenneth

Next

Return to Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10