trying to understand TD...

trying to understand TD...

Postby srfr11 » 18 Sep 2015, 12:48

Hi there,

for more than a year I've used Wuala as a "cloud".
A few days ago I switched to TD and struggle to understand its concept which is completely different from Wuala's.
I've read the manual certain times but some things still make me frown:

1) I've created a space and uploaded several hundret files fom my PC to TD
When I start TD on my Laptop, TD automatically starts downloading all those files.
That's not what I need. I only want to download single Files from the TD space if need be.
Can I achive this by deactivating "offline Verfügbarkeit"?

2) As mentioned TD unfortunately starts downloading hundrets of files upon program start.
Is there any chance to stop this activity?
If I close and restart TD it always continues the download activity even when I deactivate "offline Verfügbarkeit".

Is there genreally the option to stop a long lasting (upload/download) activity?

3) I've created a space called "sync" which synchronizes the files with my Laptop. It works fine.
From my PC I am able to access the "sync" space but interestingly I cannot see all files that I am able to see when I open TD from the laptop.
Example:
On the laptop I've created a new file "test2" in the local sync folder.
A few seconds later it's listed in the space on the server.
When I access this space from my PC however the file isn't shown.

Thx in advance.
srfr11

Re: trying to understand TD...

Postby Kenneth » 18 Sep 2015, 13:46

1) I've created a space and uploaded several hundret files fom my PC to TD
When I start TD on my Laptop, TD automatically starts downloading all those files.
That's not what I need. I only want to download single Files from the TD space if need be.
Can I achive this by deactivating "offline Verfügbarkeit"?
Yes. This was also explained in the manual. When joining a Space on another machine you do not have to enable offline availability for that Space.

2) As mentioned TD unfortunately starts downloading hundrets of files upon program start.
Is there any chance to stop this activity?
If I close and restart TD it always continues the download activity even when I deactivate "offline Verfügbarkeit".
Yes. This is also explained in the manual. After disabling the offline availability of files that have already been downloaded, TeamDrive has to delete the files from the local file system. If it's deleting hundreds of file it may take some time, depending on how many and how large the files are. If you do not want any of the files locally, simply restore the Space and during the restore process select the option to leave all the files on the server. You can find more information in sections 4.3.5.2 and 4.3.5.3 in the user's manual.

3) I've created a space called "sync" which synchronizes the files with my Laptop. It works fine.
From my PC I am able to access the "sync" space but interestingly I cannot see all files that I am able to see when I open TD from the laptop.
Example:
On the laptop I've created a new file "test2" in the local sync folder.
A few seconds later it's listed in the space on the server.
When I access this space from my PC however the file isn't shown
. How did you create the Space? Did you create two Spaces with the same name on both computers or did you create the Space on a single computer and join the Space on your second computer?
Kenneth

Return to Desktop Client - Desktop-Client (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)