Syncing with folders in the TDPS?

Questions and information regarding the TeamDrive Personal Server - Fragen und Informationen zum TeamDrive Personal Server

Syncing with folders in the TDPS?

Postby c273 » 26 Apr 2012, 23:47

Rather than just sync folder A on laptop X with folder B on laptop Y via TeamDrive Personal Server running on my Windows Home Server - all on the same private LAN, I want to be able to sync folder A with folder B (as above) but also both of them with folder C on my server running TDPS.

In most cases, I will be logged on to laptop X and my wife will be logged on laptop Y. My wife and I will be able to access the the server folder S either over our LAN or over the internet.

I don't want any of our data on your servers, even encrypted. Note: I don't need backup services from TeamDrive as Windows Home Server provides that for me.

Is this possible to set up? If so, how?

Would it be better not to use TDPS but just use WebDAV on my Windows Home Server instead?

Do I need a TeamDrive account if I won't be using your servers just my Windows Home Sever (via TDPS or WebDAV)?
c273

Re: Syncing with folders in the TDPS?

Postby EPruehs » 27 Apr 2012, 16:02

c273 wrote:Rather than just sync folder A on laptop X with folder B on laptop Y via TeamDrive Personal Server running on my Windows Home Server - all on the same private LAN, I want to be able to sync folder A with folder B (as above) but also both of them with folder C on my server running TDPS.

You have to install one TeamDrive Client on your Windows Home Server, because the data in the TDPS is encrypted and not readable without a client.

c273 wrote:In most cases, I will be logged on to laptop X and my wife will be logged on laptop Y. My wife and I will be able to access the the server folder S either over our LAN or over the internet.

I don't want any of our data on your servers, even encrypted. Note: I don't need backup services from TeamDrive as Windows Home Server provides that for me.

We dont copy data to our cloud. If you use a TDPS and create spaces only on the TDPS, not data will stored on our servers.

c273 wrote:
Is this possible to set up? If so, how?

Just use the TDPS without any additional configuration.

c273 wrote:
Would it be better not to use TDPS but just use WebDAV on my Windows Home Server instead?

WebDav has a few disadvantages, like:

- Upload must be in one request. If the upload will be interrupted, the upload must be restarted again. The TDPS supports upload at the point where the upload was interrupted.
- Joining larger spaces with very much changes will be faster using a TDPS, because the history of the space will be stored in only a few log files. On wedbav each modification will be stored in one file.

c273 wrote:
Do I need a TeamDrive account if I won't be using your servers just my Windows Home Sever (via TDPS or WebDAV)?

Yes, because the invitations to the spaces will be send over our registration server, and also the license will be checked on our registration server.
EPruehs
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby c273 » 27 Apr 2012, 16:15

Many thanks for your detailed replies.

You answered one of my follow-up questions from my first post on the second - i.e.

Rather than just sync folder A on laptop X with folder B on laptop Y via TeamDrive Personal Server running on my Windows Home Server - all on the same private LAN, I want to be able to sync folder A with folder B (as above) but also both of them with folder C on my server running TDPS.

You said: You have to install one TeamDrive Client on your Windows Home Server, because the data in the TDPS is encrypted and not readable without a client.

Can this TeamDrive Client run as a service, since no one is normally logged onto the the WHS? If not, how do you suggest? Also, does this mean I need another account for this client or can a single account be logged onto many PCs at the same time?

Lastly, I think, when you say:

The data of your spaces will only be stored on your own server

does this mean I have multiple copies - i.e. one on each laptop, one readable on the server and one encrypted on the server? I was hoping that the data on the TDPS was just file information (signatures, date/time stamps, file lengths etc.) rather than yet another copy.

BTW -do you compress the data before encrypting (no point the other way around as encrypted data rarely compresses!) in order to save space and transmission times?

Again, many thanks for the detailed responses.
c273

Postby EPruehs » 30 Apr 2012, 17:20

You could run the TeamDrive portable version as a service. This is described here:

http://forum.teamdrive.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1296

but only in German available.

Yes, you have multiple copies of the data. The current version is available on all clients. Older versions might be already removed from the local cache of the clients. Older versions could be retrieved from the TeamDrive Personal Server. The server has all versions, so that you could access them again or if one of your PCs crashed, that you could rejoin your spaces to get the data back again. You could final delete old versions, if you dont need them anymore. All data will be compressed and encrypted, before it will be uploaded to the server.
EPruehs
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby c273 » 09 May 2012, 13:57

I translated the topic in German into English and posted it to that topic.

Unfortunately this does not work on Windows Home Server 2011, which is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, as this operating system does not allow services to interact with the desktop.

It can be defined as a service (without the "Interactive services detection" checked). It can also be run as a normal program to set it up via the normal dialog. However, once then stopped as a normal program and then started as a service, it seems to ignore the previous settings and does not maintain the TeamDrive spaces. It also insists on having the TeamDrive spaces on the same disk where the portable version was installed (understandable as it is the portable version!) - in my case "C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamDrivePortable\" even though I tried to get it to use a directory on another drive.

I really would like a proper version that runs as a service on WHS (Windows 2008 R2 64-bit based system) that can be configured without interaction with the desktop (except for an initial dialog that sets up everything before running it as a service) that also allows the TeamDrive spaces on other drives.

David
c273

Return to TeamDrive Personal Server (TDPS)