Backing up a TD Personal Server with a TD3 client?

Questions and information regarding the TeamDrive Personal Server - Fragen und Informationen zum TeamDrive Personal Server

Backing up a TD Personal Server with a TD3 client?

Postby strandvaskeren » 29 Mar 2013, 19:41

Hi.

I've got a TeamDrive Personal Server running on my windows server at home. I have a desktop computer running windows xp that uses the TeamDrive3 client to back up a couple of folders to my TDPS on my windows server. I also have a TD3 client on my ubuntu laptop. It works great, I get files synced between my desktop and laptop and have an encrypted copy on my server too. Since it's all done over my local network it's speedy too. The spaces on my desktop and laptop all end up on my server in the folder d:\serverdata in an encrypted format. Great stuff.

However I would prefer to have a copy in the cloud somewhere too, in case my house catches fire or a power spike take out all my computers.

So I've installed the TD3 client on the server too. The client works just fine, it synced with the server, so now my server holds an encrypted version of the data in d:\serverdata plus an unencrypted version too in the folders set up for client data. I was fearing creating some sort of loop, but since the TD3 client uses different folders than the TDPS server it's not a problem. So now I have 3 unencrypted and synced versions of my important stuff on my desktop, my laptop and my server plus and encrypted version of the same data in the server folder on my server. Might sound a bit complicated but it works fine.

The folder d:\serverdata holds all sorts of strange file names.

On the TD3 client on the server I added a space for d:\serverdata and put it on the 2 GB free server space that TeamDrive has provided me with. The plan being to create an encrypted version of the already encrypted d:\serverdata in case my house goes up in smoke.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. The new serverdata space shows up in my client, but it's empty. Apparently d:\serverdata consists of reserved file names that the client don't feel like syncing. I guess I could ask Dropbox to backup d:\serverdata instead, after all it's already encrypted so it's okay to put it on the unsecure Dropbox, but it would be nice to have it handled by TeamDrive instead.

Any way I can get the TD3 client to backup the TDPS server folder? Or does TDPS have an option to sync with another server? A server to server sync option would be great, that way you could have your cake and eat it too.. ;)
strandvaskeren

Re: Backing up a TD Personal Server with a TD3 client?

Postby strandvaskeren » 30 Mar 2013, 16:53

I managed to get it working, sort of..

I made a batch file on the windows server that copies the contents of d:\serverdata to d:\serverdata2 and told windows task scheduler to run the batch file two times a day.

I then told the TD3 client on the windows server to sync d:\serverdata2 to the 2 GB space I have on TeamDrive's server.

It's a bit odd that TD3 can't sync directly from the d:\serverdata folder, but syncing the copy of the data works fine. Since the batch file copying the data only runs twice a day, I risk having a 12 hour delay on syncing my local server data to the TeamDrive cloud but that's okay.

I now have a very fast sync between my windows server and my desktop and laptop done locally and twice a day I get a server backup in the cloud in case lightning strikes my home and fries my equipment.
strandvaskeren

Return to TeamDrive Personal Server (TDPS)