I moved my TDPS and now I have a new fixed IP. What next?

Questions and information regarding the TeamDrive Personal Server - Fragen und Informationen zum TeamDrive Personal Server

I moved my TDPS and now I have a new fixed IP. What next?

Postby Kenneth » 02 Aug 2013, 12:36

Situation: You are hosting a TeamDrive Personal Server. Now you would like to move it to another physical location, if possible. So, this probably means you will get a new fixed IP.

Your questions:
a) Is it possible to centrally (meaning is there any redirection info you –TeamDrive- can change in your system?) change the pointer of the server to the new fixed public IP?
b) Can I perform any changes locally and will they then be automatically communicated to all our TeamDrive clients?

Answers:
a) You have full control of your server. We cannot remotely change anything on your TeamDrive Personal Server.

b) Yes, of course you can. The steps necessary depends on your configuration. The first thing you need to do is stop the server. In general, we would recommend using a hostname instead of an IP-address to keep things simple. The hostname should be entered on the line “TDPS URL:”. If you prefer to use an IP-address that’s also not a problem.

The rest of this explanation will assume you are using a fixed IP-address and not a hostname.

Once you have stopped the server and updated the configuration file with the new IP-address, you need to edit the TDPS’s configuration in your client. How many clients you need to do this in depends on how many clients actually CREATE Spaces on the TDPS. The TDPS does not need to be configured in a client if the client only joins and accesses Spaces. If the client wishes to create Spaces on the TDPS then the TDPS needs to be configured in that client. To join a Space hosted on a TDPS you simply need to be in the same network, that’s it.

With that said, all clients which CREATE Spaces on the TDPS need to edit the “TDPS URL:” from within their client: Extras > Settings > Server > select the TDPS > Edit > enter the new IP-address on the line “TDPS URL:” (it is not necessary to use ‘https’).

Once the client that creates the Spaces on the TDPS has updated the server information, it will automatically send this information to the other clients which are members of the Space and they will be able to access the Space as usual.
Kenneth

Return to TeamDrive Personal Server (TDPS)