Android client security

Questions and information regarding the Android app - Fragen und Informationen zur Android-Applikation

Android client security

Postby haelix » 30 Aug 2012, 13:31

Hello,

I like it very much teamdrive offers encryption at source and this is why I prefer it.

My android smartphone was recently stolen and I leaked sensitive data (I was using Dropbox), and I want to protect myself for the future.

My question is, can TeamDrive make it so that there is no caching going on on Android?
The problem is, no matter how secure the communication is, if the filesystem has offline files cached, those will be viewable when your phone is stolen.

I am a software developer myself and can understand these things. I realize I may be asking for a different type of security here.
Such security would mean that data is only accessible while the TeamDrive client is open. The data would be accessible to other applications only during this time - this implies no caching between application runs, and decrypting the files every time, either using a ram drive or the SD card but shredding it on exit.

How feasible is to do this? Do you know of any products that do something like this?
haelix

Re: Android client security

Postby Kenneth » 24 Sep 2012, 16:02

iOS and Android offer the possibility to password encrypt your TeamDrive application. If you go into the settings of your TeamDrive app you can select an amount of time (immediately, 1min, 2mins, etc.) as to when TeamDrive will require a password to continue using and accessing the data. If the correct password is not entered access to the data will be discontinued.
Kenneth

Postby niels » 13 Apr 2013, 17:25

It's great that the offline data are stored encrypted. How ever in my experience the cached data (Android/data/com.teamdrive.android.client/cache) are stored without encryption. So the minimum is that I must clear the cache regulary. Which must be done manually. The fact that this can't be done from the app makes it more worst. Any chance that this would be available in the near future?

Niels
niels

Postby Kenneth » 15 Apr 2013, 12:51

Please try using the 'clear cache' button from within the app. This should clear the cache. If it is not functioning correctly please let me know so I can notify our devs.
Kenneth

Postby niels » 15 Apr 2013, 19:25

First the clear cache button doesn't work and even if it would work it's complicated to always call clear cache at the end. This should happends automatically if "Automatische Sperre" runs.
niels

Postby Kenneth » 17 Apr 2013, 14:48

Have you tried the clear cache button in the applications list (in the settings panel)?
Kenneth

Postby niels » 17 Apr 2013, 18:23

You mean the one Android supplies on system-level? This works, indeed. However how can I trigger this regularly?
niels

Postby Kenneth » 19 Apr 2013, 13:28

If you're talking about when you go into the system settings > apps > td > clear cache, then yes. This is actually what I also use. Normally I just go in there and do it manually. I'm not sure about the status about having that updated directly into the app. I would have to speak with our devs about that.
Kenneth

Return to TeamDrive Android