Connecting my Android phone to my Personal Server

Questions and information regarding the Android app - Fragen und Informationen zur Android-Applikation

Connecting my Android phone to my Personal Server

Postby c273 » 03 Apr 2013, 14:05

I have been using Teamdrive for a while now to synchronise my wife's and my data between our 2 laptops via my home personal server. I do not keep any files on your servers or anywhere else in the "cloud". Now I have installed your Android App on my Samsung mobile phone and it has activated (I used the same ID/password as I use on my laptops).

The personal server is connected to the internet and runs Windows Server 2008 R2 (actually Windows Home Server 2011) but not all ports are accessible externally or forwarded from the internet to the server. Of course, this isn't an issue when at home as our laptops are all on the same LAN as the server.

How do I connect your phone app to my home personal server so that I can keep the files on the phone's microSD card in sync with my spaces on my laptops?
c273

Re: Connecting my Android phone to my Personal Server

Postby Kenneth » 03 Apr 2013, 15:04

Your mobile devices just need to connect to the internet on the same network. I have that setup here with an iPad and a Motorola Tablet running Android. I'm able to connect to both my Personal Servers (running on Windows and OS X). If you are just using the the devices in house then they just need to access the internet via the same network. A WiFi connection is enough. If you are trying to access the TDPS from outside of your home then you would have to configure your router accordingly to allow access from outside of the local network.
Kenneth

Postby c273 » 03 Apr 2013, 15:39

Thank you.

I do want to access from inside and outside my home. For outside access, do you have any information on how to configure the router to allow this (i.e. which ports to forward)?

I am assuming that all data traffic is encrypted - even from my Android phone. Is that correct?

I seem to remember that that I had to import my TDPS certificate to get it working on our laptops. There doesn't seem to be that function on the Android client. There doesn't seem to be the same settings as the Windows client to allow me to say where my files are stored.

Do I need to send an invitation to myself to get access to my spaces (not sure if this is possible or would even confuse my existing client)? Do I need a separate ID for my phone, although I seem to remember that this is limited to one per email address?

All help gratefully received.
c273

Postby Kenneth » 03 Apr 2013, 17:31

To be honest I personally don't have much experience configuring a router for access from outside the local network so I wouldn't be the one to tell how to do that and I definitely don't want to lead you astray. Google may be you best bet for how to set that up.

Although Adroid has a Windows-like file system you cannot access the files through the file system. The folder is hidden for security reasons. The files can only be accessed through TeamDrive. Of course, you can have other applications open the files but you have to initially go through TeamDrive. The TeamDrive apps encrypt the data just as the client does. You should be able to select whether the files are stored on the internal storage or on your memory card. Otherwise you don't have the ability to create a Specific folder for your Spaces.

I'm not sure about importing a certificate to import your TDPS and I'm actually not sure which certificate you're referring to. Anytime I setup a TDPS I just go in TeamDrive, click 'Add TDPS' and then enter the address for the TDPS and the password. After that you're connected to the TDPS. But maybe you needed a certificate because you are running Windows Server. I'm not sure if that is a feature/requirement of that. I run my Personal Servers just on regular Windows 8 and OS X operating systems. But usually, you just need to enter the server address and you can connect to the TDPS

Yes, you would just need to invite yourself. Right-click on a single Space (or all of them) and click "Invite all my Devices" to have an invitation sent to all your devices that are not currently a member of the selected Space(s). It won't confuse your existing client. Remember, each user can have as many installations as they please. With the latest versions of the Android and iOS devices you are able to create Spaces and send Space invitations and whatnot. It requires, however, at least a Personal license. But if those features don't interest you then just ignore the previous sentence.
Kenneth

Postby c273 » 03 Apr 2013, 19:31

Thanks.

I know how to configure my router, I just wanted to know what ports TDPS used. However, it seems too complicated to use Android client on my phone outside the home and won't provide what I need and so I have uninstalled it and will look at other solutions to my need.
c273

Postby Kenneth » 04 Apr 2013, 13:26

You can have the TDPS use whichever port you desire. The default port is 37655. You can change the port in the .config file
Kenneth

Postby reusetek » 23 Dec 2016, 11:15

My android phone is connecting well to my personal server and I am able to access all files from my personal server. I faced not ant difficulties with any external device synchronizing.
reusetek

Postby Alizeh » 02 Aug 2017, 15:40

I also tried to connect and it worked fine for me. :)
Alizeh

Return to TeamDrive Android