Cache files on device not encrypted

Questions and information regarding the Android app - Fragen und Informationen zur Android-Applikation

Cache files on device not encrypted

Postby Mark757 » 14 Jul 2013, 09:34

Just wondering, is Teamdrive planning to encrypt the cache on Android devices in a future update?

The reason I (and many of us) prefer Teamdrive to something like dropbox is the better security it offers. But the cache is accessible even without entering a pin or password, so if the device falls in the wrong hands, the data is compromised. Any plans of changing this? (I'm not sure how difficult this is, as I have no clue about the technological aspects).

Thanks a lot!
Mark757

Re: Cache files on device not encrypted

Postby Kenneth » 15 Jul 2013, 16:48

Where did you find the unencrypted file and was the file open at the same time?
Kenneth

Postby Mark757 » 16 Jul 2013, 07:14

Hi Kenneth,

When I use the Android file manager and navigate to sdcard0/Android/data/com.teamdrive.android.client/cache I can access files without having to enter a PIN or password. Not all my Teamdrive files are there, however. I think they are copies of some sort that are created when I work on documents that are in my Teamdrive on the device. Not sure though.

Thanks for your help!
Mark757

Postby Kenneth » 16 Jul 2013, 13:03

No, thank YOU. We're looking into this right now. Thanks for alerting us to the situation. When I receive feedback from our devs I'll be sure to provide you with the same!
Kenneth

Postby stsc » 30 Jul 2013, 19:54

Mark757 wrote:Hi Kenneth,

When I use the Android file manager and navigate to sdcard0/Android/data/com.teamdrive.android.client/cache I can access files without having to enter a PIN or password. Not all my Teamdrive files are there, however. I think they are copies of some sort that are created when I work on documents that are in my Teamdrive on the device. Not sure though.

Thanks for your help!

I also noticed that deleting the cache by "Settings->Clear cache" has no effect on these files.
stsc

Postby Kenneth » 08 Aug 2013, 15:56

This has been fixed in the latest version. Normal versions of TeamDrive will temporarily store files opened with external apps in the cache. The delete cache button via TeamDrive will, however, empty this cache. Files made available for offline use are not stored in this cache. Only files opened with external apps will be temporarily stored in the cache.

TeamDrive SecureOffice has an embedded document handling program which means the document won't need to be opened with an external application and will therefore in the secure area of TeamDrive. TeamDrive SecureOffice will only store files in the cache when the file type cannot be opened with the embedded document handling app.
Kenneth

Postby Mark757 » 12 Aug 2013, 02:41

TeamDrive SecureOffice sounds very interesting, I hope it's a one-time payment rather than a subscription model.

If I understand correctly, that's not an add-on but a better version of Teamdrive in a new app. I've signed up for the e-mail service to be notified once it becomes available.

Security is of paramount concern to me (and many others I guess), so I hope TeamDrive SecureOffice leaves no leaks. Personally, I would prefer a version that would not even allow the user to accidentally leak data by opening a document in a third-party app or at least give a warning when this is about to happen.

Thanks for your help, Kenneth!
Mark757

Postby Mark757 » 04 Sep 2013, 12:58

I just saw that TeamDrive Secure Office is now available in GooglePlay.

Unfortunately, the price for the full version is way above what I can justify spending on a tool I use as a consumer rather than a professional.

I would welcome a scaled-down version for non-professionals like myself, with a one-off payment rather than an annual fee.

Please don't get me wrong. This is no angry complaint, since your pricing policy is entirely up to you. Rather, it is a suggestion. Many consumers are now looking for a safe alternative to Dropbox. That is a huge potential market for you. But I suppose only few casual consumers will be willing to pay such a high price.

Kind regards,

Mark
Mark757

Postby Kenneth » 09 Sep 2013, 12:09

It's also possible to encrypt your device in the settings panel on your Android device. Once you're in settings go to "security" or the equivalent of that if it doesn't say 'security' on your device.
Kenneth

Postby haelix » 24 Nov 2014, 12:30

"This has been fixed in the latest version. Normal versions of TeamDrive will temporarily store files opened with external apps in the cache".

Please elaborate, what exactly has been fixed and in what version?

I'm using TeamDrive with Linux and Android clients and would like to know exactly where in the filesystem is space data duplicated (in unencrypted form). I think this is important and we need a clear overview of this. Thanks!
haelix

Next

Return to TeamDrive Android