How-to: Join/Recover a Space without re-downloading...

Practical instruction and advice on how to take advantage of TeamDrive's features.

How-to: Join/Recover a Space without re-downloading...

Postby Kenneth » 05 Dec 2013, 16:57

Top: English
Unten: Deutsch

How-to: Join/Recover a Space without having to re-download all of the data from the server (i.e. the data already exist locally on the machine).

In many cases, when joining or recovering a Space, the data already exist locally on your hard drive, on a flash drive, external hard drive, etc. This can also be the case when one master account has created Spaces, uploaded data and would like to share this data with their friends, colleagues or coworkers without them having to download all of the files from the server. In an office of 20-30 people, everyone downloading the same amount of data at once may put some strain on the network, especially if the files are big. To ease this process TeamDrive allows users, when joining or recovering a Space, to alert TeamDrive to the fact that the data already locally exist. You can then have TeamDrive copy or move the data from this location to the new location where the Space will be stored.

First, users need to be, of course, invited into the Space (if the Space is being recovered from a backup file, the backup file(s) need(s) to be imported). When joining or recovering a Space, the data can be downloaded completely from the server, restored from the existing Space folder on your machine (if the Space is being recovered) or copied or moved from any other existing folder on your local machine or an external hard drive. To view and select one of these options click the “Advanced” button in the “Space Invitation”/“Recovery” window. You will then see a drop down menu with the options, “copy files from backup” (if you are recovering the Space), “copy files from specified path”, and “move files from specified path”. Select the desired option, and file path if necessary, and click “Accept”/“Recover”.

TeamDrive will then compare the local versions of the data with the latest versions on the data on the server. If the versions match, the local data will be copied or moved to the Space. If the versions do not match, the versions from the server will be downloaded.

Wie man einem Space beitritt oder einen wiederherstellt, ohne alle Daten erneut vom Server laden zu müssen (das heißt, die Daten sind lokal bereits vorhanden)

Wenn Sie einem Space beitreten oder einen wiederherstellen, existieren in vielen Fällen die Daten bereits lokal auf der internen oder externen Festplatte, einem USB-Stick etc. Dies kann auch der Fall sein, wenn Spaces von einem Hauptkonto aus erstellt wurden, Daten hochgeladen wurden und diese nun mit Freunden, Kollegen oder Mitarbeitern geteilt werden sollen ohne dass diese alle Daten vom Server runterladen müssen. In einem Büro mit 20 bis 30 Leuten, die alle die gleiche Datenmenge runterladen, kann dies das Netzwerk stark belasten, besonders wenn es sich um große Daten handelt. Um diesen Prozess beim Beitritt in einen Space oder dessen Wiederherstellung zu vereinfachen, kann man TeamDrive mitteilen, dass Daten bereits lokal vorhanden sind und anweisen, diese Daten in den neu zu erstellenden Space zu kopieren oder zu verschieben.

Als erstes müssen Benutzer in den Space eingeladen werden (im Falle der Wiederherstellung müssen die Sicherungsdateien importiert werden). Wenn dem Space beigetreten wird oder dieser wiederhergestellt wird, können die Daten komplett von Server runtergeladen werden, aus einem existierenden lokalen Space wiederhergestellt werden oder von irgendeinem anderen Speicherort auf Ihrem Computer oder z.B. einer externen Festplatte kopiert oder verschoben werden. Um diese Optionen zu sehen und auszuwählen, klicken Sie auf "Erweiterte Informationen" im Space Beitreten/Wiederherstellen-Fenster. Sie sehen dann ein Drop-Down-Menü mit der Bezeichnung "Pfad Alternativen" und mit den Optionen Kopiere/Verschiebe Dateien aus dem gewählten Pfad und ein Feld, um einen Pfad auszuwählen oder einzugeben.

Daraufhin wird TeamDrive die lokalen Dateien mit den aktuellsten Versionen auf dem Server vergleichen. Handelt es sich um die gleiche Dateiversion, wird die lokale Datei kopiert/verschoben, ansonsten wird die aktuellste Datei vom Server runtergeladen.
Kenneth

Re: How-to: Join/Recover a Space without re-downloading...

Postby Kenneth » 11 Dec 2013, 15:19

Erklärung auf Deutsch jetzt verfügbar...
Kenneth

Postby mioan » 19 Aug 2015, 09:15

I already failed in my first attempt to sync existing folders (that were just synced by wuala. Wuala is now retiring so I am testing TD).
Now that I read this forum topic on how to achieve this, I wonder why you made it so complicated.

The user friendly way would be:
I want to join a space for which I already have synced files on the correct location on my computer.
1) I see inside TD the inactive space that I want to join
2) before activating I go and to advanced settings and change the storage location to point to the populated folder (which already resides in the location I want it to be)
3) coming back from advanced settings, I join the TD space
4) Td should ask: The folder is not empty. Do you want me to sync only updated files with your local files ? [Y / N]

Such a natural process....
thanks
Mike
mioan

Postby mioan » 19 Aug 2015, 11:21

Even with these instructions, I failed a second time to achieve the reuse of my local files without re-downloading all.

Before activating the space, I went first to change its storage location. Then I would have gone to select the [Copy From Existing files].
But, just after specifying the preferred folder, TD, without asking, went by itself to activate the space and start the download.
Id did not hit the activate button in this procedure, so there operation workflow of the software needs some refining here, I believe.

(I am writing here while waiting for all files to come from the cloud, while the same files sit in a folder right next to it)
I am writing in the hope that these comments will lead to future improvements.
thanks
Mike
mioan

Postby Kenneth » 19 Aug 2015, 12:46

mioan wrote:I already failed in my first attempt to sync existing folders (that were just synced by wuala. Wuala is now retiring so I am testing TD).
Now that I read this forum topic on how to achieve this, I wonder why you made it so complicated.

The user friendly way would be:
I want to join a space for which I already have synced files on the correct location on my computer.
1) I see inside TD the inactive space that I want to join
2) before activating I go and to advanced settings and change the storage location to point to the populated folder (which already resides in the location I want it to be)
3) coming back from advanced settings, I join the TD space
4) Td should ask: The folder is not empty. Do you want me to sync only updated files with your local files ? [Y / N]

Such a natural process....
thanks
Mike

Were the files already synced with TeamDrive servers or were they only synced with Wuala servers?

In TeamDrive 4 is it not yet possible to change the path while joining a Space and select the option to copy the files from a different location. It only allows you to select one option. This is something we need to improve.

To do what you would like to do please follow these instructions.

- Assuming you have already uploaded your Spaces via another TeamDrive client, you will see your existing Spaces in the section "Inactive Spaces".

- Find the Space you would like to join and join the Space with offline availability turned off.

- The Space will be joined in the default Spaces location and only the directory info will be downloaded. No physical data will be downloaded.

- Afterwards, quit TeamDrive and go into the default Spaces folder and remove the newly joined Space. Start TeamDrive.

- You will now see a blue triangle with an exclamation point next to the Space. This symbolizes an error and the error will be that TeamDrive cannot find the Space.

- Now, re-enable the offline availability of the Space ***This step is very important*** (expand the Space by clicking the downward pointing arrow to the right of the Space and then select the second downward pointing arrow to active the offline availability).

- Expand the Space again and select "i" and then change the Space path to the existing folder on your machine. Everything new in the Space will be uploaded will be uploaded.
Kenneth

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 19 Aug 2015, 15:25

Mike, we will improve the join a space function in one of the next updates.

Then you will be able in one step to select a path and to select join from a backup (existing files).

thanks for your advice.

br
detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby mioan » 20 Aug 2015, 19:40

dear Kenneth,
thanks for the steps. I followed them (with teamDrive 4).
I had a few files updated today on another computer and was expecting that they will come to This computer that where I am setting up the sync / merge folders.

There are two problems with this procedure (so far):
1) the folder does not get the blue icon (but I can live with this)
2) while trying to sync, TD decided to keep the older version of a file as "current" and put the newer version that existed on the Other computer, as older version.

I wonder if the 2 is a result of this tricky procedure, and if I need to redo the local folder from the start.

kind regards
Mike

P.S.
I am not sure how to post here a screenshot without uploading it first to another webite first.
The screenshot is from the info icon of one file and shows:

Current version
18/8/2015 17:02 - <username>

All versions
today 16:52 - <username>

("today" is 20/8/2015)
mioan

Postby Kenneth » 25 Aug 2015, 11:43

Hi Mike,

1. The folder should be decorated after you have restarted TeamDrive.
2. I think this may be a result of an older version of a file being copied/moved into the Space. In that sense, TeamDrive will upload this as the latest version because, as far as TeamDrive knows, this is what the user wants and must be the reason why the user put copied an older version of the file into the Space. Again, this a workaround for the case of joining or recovering Space without re-downloading all of the data since the ability to simultaneously select multiple options while joining or recovering a Space has not yet been implemented. In essence, the procedure I described is mainly for the purpose of reconnecting the an existing Space (for example, a Space that resides on a file server). All in all, you can simply go to the versions list and change which version is the latest version. You just need to expand the version you want to mark as the current version and click on the check mark and the correct version will be there again.
Kenneth

Return to How-to's