Spam to Teamdrive email addresses

Spam to Teamdrive email addresses

Postby guti » 10 Apr 2011, 19:46

Hi support,

Have you recently sold email addresses of registered users or has someone hacked your servers? Recently, I started getting SPAM to all email addresses that I have been using in the past years for teamdrive, like
teamdrive@mydomain.de
teamdrive2@mydomain.de
teamdrive_laptop@mydomain.de
and so on. From the same senders!! These email addresses have never been used anywhere else.
guti

Re: Spam to Teamdrive email addresses

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 11 Apr 2011, 12:12

Hi Guti,

TeamDrive never sold or disclosed any E-Mail Addresses. We take Privacy very seriously.
We did not discover any abnormal behavior or attempts to break into our systems.

In spring 2009 there was a theft of E-Mail addresses at our mail service provider iContact in the United States. Someone stole millions of email addresses and our mail addresses where affected too. We can assure that no other related information was ever stored on a system which we do not control. Nothing but the email addresses where affected by that theft. No relation to TeamDrive with those mails.

Thanks for informing us.

Best
Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby tay23 » 05 Jun 2011, 16:29

Hi.

I only registered with Teamdrive on the 6th October 2010, so the spring 2009 theft doesn't apply to me. I also use the method mentioned by guti to track which companies are spamming me. I recently received 2 spam emails to my unique teamdrive@mydomain.co.uk email address - one on the 6th June 2011 and the other on the 7th. Has there been another breach of security?
tay23

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 06 Jun 2011, 16:56

Thanks for your observation. We at TeamDrive did not notice any theft of email addresses, other than back in 2009. But email notifications are sent unencrypted via the INTERNET and could be grabbed anywhere. We do not share or sell email addresses. If anyone else see similar Spam problems please inform us.

- Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby tay23 » 10 Jun 2011, 12:09

If anyone else has had problems like this with spam from TeamDrive-only email addresses, this is the response I received from Detlef at TeamDrive a couple of days ago:

your complaint is the second one which we received and the other user reported similar Spam which he received June 6th. 2011.

Both your email addresses are on our mailing list which we host at iContact.com . We believe now that they where hacked again. As we could research, other customers in the INTERNET complain stolen mailing lists from iContact in early June 2011 as well.

We will contact the CEO of iContact today and expect a response which we will share in our forum.

You can be assured the we do only host email lists there. No user names or other information was ever placed outside of our systems. In our systems all information is stored highly encrypted.

Feel free to communicate this information. We think about discontinuing our relationship with iContact and search for a more secure system.

Best regards
Detlef
tay23

Postby guti » 10 Jun 2011, 12:19

@Teamdrive: You should seriously consider switching your mail service provider. Being hacked once and getting your customer's data stolen is one thing, it can happen to everyone (even to Citigroup, haha). But getting hacked AGAIN is too much, apparently they didn't learn their lesson. Most people will not notice who is responsible, you or your serviceprovider, and they think it is your fault. And, eventually, it will be if you stay with that service provider :-)
guti

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 10 Jun 2011, 13:00

@guti You are absolutely right. But it is not that easy to find a secure solution. All serious marketing service providers which we researched where hacked multiple times during the past couple of years. Hackers seem to focus on the big and successful companies. We thought that we could focus on our core product development and wanted to outsource standard marketing tasks. We are open for recommendations.

-Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby Frankyh » 11 Jul 2011, 09:09

*** deleted by moderator ****
Frankyh

Return to Feedback