Feedback - Private Server

Feedback - Private Server

Postby Steen.Christensen » 31 Oct 2013, 15:55

Hello,

During my trial of your product, I've gathered one thing that I think would greatly benefit your product.
Ive used the private server part, which I have found would be greatly expanded if you could add more than one Space destination, that way one could individually share it with external partners etc.

Kind regards,
Steen
Steen.Christensen

Re: Feedback - Private Server

Postby Kenneth » 01 Nov 2013, 13:45

I'm not sure what you mean. The client itself can upload to multiple locations simultaneously without a problem. You can also use separate Space folders to store data for different clients. If a user is not invited to a Space then their TeamDrive client does not know that the Space exists, no matter where the Space folder is hosted.

All data stored on the server is encrypted so users can download other users' data anyway. You can open up the server depot on your machine and look at the files to see.

You can allow whoever you choose to store data on your TDPS. That is up to you. Even though you would host the data you would not be able to access/open the files because everything is encrypted via the client and stored in an encrypted form. You would need a client and the key to decrypt the data.
Kenneth

Postby Steen.Christensen » 04 Nov 2013, 11:46

I thought it might get difficult to explain.

What I mean is the following on the private server (as it functions today): You specify one folder to be used as a space, and you can only specify one folder to be shared. My suggestion is basically that you allow more folders to be individually shared as seperate spaces.
Kind of like how an ftp server works, where you can mix and match folders (Lying on different drives for instance) under different users, only as spaces instead.

Why would this be a good feature ?

Let me give an example: A company uses TeamDrive for synchronizing folders & data between employees. But this company like so many other companies consists of different departments, for instance a sales department and an HR department. How would you today seperate the two different departments (By giving each of them a seperate space to share) if they are both on the same file server ?

Another example: A Company wants to share different folders with suppliers or time limited contracters, how would you proceed in such a case, with an inhouse TeamDrive solution ? Where the specific supplier cant see the other suppliers shared folders ?

This is my suggestion: Today's cloud storage solutions be it inhouse or hosted solutions, are in my experience beign used for naturally sharing and synchronizing data between employees and partners, suppliers etc. The strength of such a solution, is that you can let the users themselves invite/uninvite the persons they want, when they want, giving the users the flexibility of easy management. At the same time an IT department can (or atleast should be able to with an enterprise solution) control who gains access to what of the company's data. Look at forinstance Syncplicity by EMC.
Steen.Christensen

Postby Kenneth » 07 Nov 2013, 17:40

Please explain what you mean when you say "private server". By that do you mean the 2 GB private cloud associated with your username or do you mean the TeamDrive Personal Server?

On the TeamDrive Personal Server there isn't a Space folder. There is a data folder where all of the Spaces are hosted.

On the TeamDrive client you have a storage depot. That can be a WebDAV Server, our cloud, or the TDPS. Within you client you can create and share as many Spaces as you want as long as you have enough storage Space to host them. You can invite people to those Spaces individually. If this is what you mean then that is a standard feature of the TeamDrive client.

Like in your example you can give them their own Space to share if that's how you want it to work or you can create however many Spaces you want. Everything you said is already standard in TeamDrive. I'm not sure what you are asking because it is possible to create different Space folders in the TeamDrive client. You can also have each Space folder hosted on different servers when you have multiple servers available to you.
Kenneth

Postby Steen.Christensen » 13 Nov 2013, 15:07

Hi Kenneth,

Sorry that I hadnt made it clear, but I was infact reffering to the: TeamDrive Personal Server edition.

I hope that sorted it out ?

My clients are all looking for a dropbox replacement which can be handled onsite at their own locations, using their own storage.
Steen.Christensen

Postby Kenneth » 13 Nov 2013, 17:44

The TDPS has one repository.

It is also possible to run different instances of the TDPS if your clients want their data hosted on different servers. As mentioned before, all of the data is stored in an encrypted form so it actually doesn't matter where it is stored because it can't be accessed anyway.

But the TDPS cannot have multiple depots attached to it. You would just need to use multiple TDPSs if that's how you want to do things.
Kenneth

Postby Steen.Christensen » 14 Nov 2013, 12:25

Thank you Kenneth.

The point you make is why I have made these posts. They are feedback for functionality that I and probably many others would like to see in the Personal Server edition.

I'll give you feedback as to why I consider it to be a good functionality to provide. Essentialy I have found, that most of my customers, who contain several thousand users is that they in some extent use Dropbox, but all of them would like an inhouse feature instead of the "hosted" solution to be able to contain and control the access to data on an enterprise level. So for TeamDrive there is certainly a massive market for the right company with the right price/features.

Food for thought I would say.

Kind regards,
Steen
Steen.Christensen

Postby Kenneth » 14 Nov 2013, 17:34

Another option to consider is the TeamDrive Enterprise Hosting Server Solution.

You can find more information about this topic here: https://www.teamdrive.com/efficient_collaboration.html

Also, if you need more information regarding the server you can just send us an email (support@teamdrive.com) and we can provide you with more information about the Enterprise Hosting Server Solution.
Kenneth

Return to Feedback