Star next to file-version-number in TD-Explorer

Use this forum to give feedback about the user interface - Benutzen Sie dieses Forum, um Feedback über die Benutzeroberfläche zu geben

Star next to file-version-number in TD-Explorer

Postby JaHa » 07 Sep 2009, 19:33

In the TeamDrive Explorer I has a column entitled "Version". Some say "1", some "2", some says "3".

But sometimes the info reads:

"1*".

What does that mean?

I really read the manual for that. I don't do that usually. But I couldn't find it. Why is the no tool tip when I hover of the "1*" that tells me what it means. Or some tooltip that explains this, when I hover over the name of the column. I wouldn't mind a tool tip even for the usual "1", "2", "3"s.. . Even then: A tooltip says: "This is version 2 of this mytext.txt." would be nice.

Thanks,
Jaha
JaHa

Re: Star next to file-version-number in TD-Explorer

Postby Patrik.Dusek » 08 Sep 2009, 09:59

Hi Jaha,

the "*" means that the verison number is a temporary version number. If you create a new version
of a file the number will be incremented based on the last version you edited. After that the change
will be written on the log of the server. This number will be validated by reading the loginfo back.
Then the star disappears.
If some other team member also creates a new version nearly at the same time and his info is written
on the log earlier than yours than his version will become the next in line and your version number
will be incremented once again. Additionaly you will get a conflict.
So the star only means that your changes have been processed localy and as long as it remains your change
has not been confirmed from the log.
We will add this info to the manual and maybe make the tooltip. Thanks for your hint.

Best regards,
Patrik Dusek
Patrik.Dusek
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby JaHa » 08 Sep 2009, 20:06

I guess this might be the reason for my 35 "Meta-Daten" that await syncing. (or actually the other way round)

I use the standard Team Drive free 1GB. The "Messages"-tab isn't indicating any problems. Syncing for most of my files works just as wanted. I have just one PC. So this is no real syncing but just backing-up.

I assume that those "Meta-Daten" include the info that I'm the only one using the files. If they aren't exchanged with the server, my client doesn't know to get rid of the star.

What might be a solution for this?
JaHa

Postby JaHa » 08 Sep 2009, 20:12

On of the problems (but not the only one) seems to be long files name.

_All_ my long files names are having a * next to the number and they aren't listed in the "Message"-tab. Neither as uploaded nor as a file with an error.

I have _long_ file names like these:
Dissertation von Beeee Ammmmm - Sppp-Sttttttttt und das Sppppppp des Diiiii-Opppppppp - diss.ps
or
Berline Getzler Vergne Heat kernels and Dirac operators - a review - S0273-0979-96-00633-7.pdf

A file that works okay:
baaadiiiionnoooosetsfordiiiiandlaaaaaaopppppppsfulltext.pdf

And a one of the fewer short file names that has a problem:
/Mein Text/parted/05intro.aux (problem) [6*]
however:
/Mein Text/parted/05intro.tex (works) [1]
and:
/Mein Text/Kopie von parted/05intro.aux (works) [1]

If I search for "05intro.aux" in "Messages", only a message regarding /Mein Text/Kopie von parted/05intro.aux occurs. There is no message regarding /Mein Text/parted/05intro.aux.

(I changes some characters but didn't change the length of the file names)
JaHa

Postby JaHa » 08 Sep 2009, 20:25

hm??? now, I'm all out of ideas.

I have at least on file that has a "1*".

It's called:
unendlichdimensionalevektorbuendelinalgebraischergeometrie0309155v4.pdf

It's listed as uploaded in the "Message"-tab.

There is just 1 version of the file. Why the star then?
JaHa

Postby JaHa » 08 Sep 2009, 20:50

One more thing: Is the "History"-tab the same as the tab called "Nachrichten"?

Patrik.Dusek writes:
Eine Übersicht wie der Status deiner Dateien ist bekommst du auf dem Historyreiter und wenn du dann die
Detailansicht öffnest, stehen dort alle Dateien, die noch versendet oder empfangen werden.

However, that's not entirely what I experience. The "history"-tab won't give me a status on the files that TeamDrive won't try uploading. As I said above, I have files like
Dissertation von Beeee Ammmmm - Sppp-Sttttttttt und das Sppppppp des Diiiii-Opppppppp - diss.ps
that didn't get uploaded. But there is also no error message in the "Messages"-tab. And they are not listed in the "files to be sent"-Details.
JaHa

Postby Patrik.Dusek » 10 Sep 2009, 10:09

Hi Jaha,

History is the same as Nachrichten. Small files might not appear in the upload list with their
names. TD tries to bundle small files and sends them together within the meta packages. So
you have only an error displayed for the meta package not for the file. After successfully uploading
the meta package the small files will be added to the history.
As you say there are some message packages left for upload. I think the missing files are included
within those packages.
We should find out why those uploads are hanging. Please contact the support.

Best regards,
Patrik Dusek
Patrik.Dusek
TeamDrive Team Member

Return to User Interface - Benutzeroberfläche