Space running out of Disk Space notification

Use this forum to share your TeamDrive "nice to have" ideas - Nutzen Sie dieses Forum, um Ihre TeamDrive "wäre schön zu haben" Ideen zu teilen

Space running out of Disk Space notification

Postby Bayron.Gutierrez » 24 Oct 2019, 14:33

Hi TeamDrive Support,

at work, we have had multiple times where users ran out of disk space on their Depot, and as a result other people and the owner of the Spaces on that Depot are not able to upload files.

This cause big frustration because until one finds out which Space, owner, and Depot is out of disk space, no one can save new files.

It would be nice to have a notification (email) reminding the owner of that space/depot that they are running out of space, and that they should contact their System Administrator.

Thank you for all your support!!
Bayron.Gutierrez

Re: Space running out of Disk Space notification

Postby Kenneth » 25 Oct 2019, 09:02

Hi Bayron. In TeamDrive 3 we had a notification of such active in the program. However, we removed it from TeamDrive 4. The reason being is that, for example, users would receive "almost out of disk Space" warnings when their depots were 80%, 90% and 95% full. This makes a lot of sense for 2 GB or maybe even 20 GB depots. However, for larger depots reaching 80% of capacity, or even 90%, can be irrelevant. Unfortunately, since the notification appeared daily and/or after every restart, it became more of a nuisance to the majority of our users than a helping hand. Thank you for your feedback. I will mention your feedback to our developers and find out if there could possibly be a feasible solution here.
Kenneth

Postby Bayron.Gutierrez » 25 Oct 2019, 09:46

Hi Kenneth,

I see, and thank you so much for the clear explanation.

I can see why this would be an annoyance more than a useful feature for users with smaller Depots.

I our case, we use fairly large Depots (> 30 GB), so for us it makes sense that it would take a long time for users to reach their limit, and when they do so, we are ok if they get the daily reminders until their Depot is increased again. For us, this function would work super.

Maybe, this feature can be added back in the Notification Center and Email Notifications section, where one can turn it OFF/ON as they wish?

I know, I would tell my users to always have it ON. ;)

Thank you so much for the prompt response.
Bayron.Gutierrez

Postby Kenneth » 25 Oct 2019, 11:10

Maybe you misunderstood me slightly. The feature was bothersome for users with larger depots. For users with very small depots, the feature was quite useful since 20% remaining of 2GB is very little whereas 20% remaining of 100 GB is still a good amount of free storage to have.

While adding a switch is a viable solution it would, however, mean that each client you used would have to have the switch turned on in order for that client to send you the notification once it receives the information.

On the bright side, my server developer colleagues are already working to implement notification emails, which will be automatically sent to the depot owner. This is scheduled to be released in the next server release.
Kenneth

Postby Bayron.Gutierrez » 16 Jan 2020, 14:14

Ah I see what you mean. I think for us it would still be useful to have a notification sent out say for when a Depot has reached 90-95% usage of their quota.
And like you mentioned, I could clarify for users with large depots, and with users for smaller depots.

Awesome, do you know when more or less the new released will be deployed?

thank you again for the support!
Bayron.Gutierrez

Postby Kenneth » 20 Jan 2020, 11:28

March/April but possibly also sooner.
Kenneth

Postby Bayron.Gutierrez » 20 Aug 2020, 15:49

Hi All,

I have updated to 4.6.11 but no notifications option still for Storage Quota or Traffic Limit.

Maybe with the next version?
Bayron.Gutierrez

Return to Nice to Have - Wäre Schön zu Haben