Web Client, direct links to files and public sharing

Use this forum to share your TeamDrive "nice to have" ideas - Nutzen Sie dieses Forum, um Ihre TeamDrive "wäre schön zu haben" Ideen zu teilen

Web Client, direct links to files and public sharing

Postby amailer46 » 23 Nov 2011, 12:44

Hi,

Here's a few features that i would like to see in TeamDrive.
First off, let me just mention that TeamDrive is awesome!

Next, due to our demands we sure be happy to have:
1. WebClient
2. The ability to send a link to a file, with that an ability to send email with that link.
3. The ability to make public files in a given space and creates direct link to them, let our users download (of course, I guess with traffic limitations)

Another thing that is not quite necessary is the ability to pop up a message when a new file is uploaded or a file had been modified.
A pop up could be annoying, but making a feature that would, for example, send an email when a change had happend can be awesome feature
(of course - with a given flag that tells TeamDrive to make that trace & notification)

Another thing I can think about is a Zero-Knowledge Policy for specific spaces/files:
adding another layer of encryption with a key derived from a password, and the password or the key won't be saved on TeamDrive servers.
a TrueCrypt like encryption for specific cases
and if someone would ask the key to open the encryption, under SSL connection (to avoid Man-In-The-Middle), it will allow communication and sending the password to a remote client, using direct connection between each client and client.

Thats all, phew, that was a lot.
What do you guys think?
amailer46

Re: Web Client, direct links to files and public sharing

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 23 Nov 2011, 15:31

amailer46 wrote:Hi,
Here's a few features that i would like to see in TeamDrive.
First off, let me just mention that TeamDrive is awesome!

Thanks for your comments and whishes!

amailer46 wrote:Next, due to our demands we sure be happy to have:
1. WebClient

With our current concept of an "end to end" encryption (encryption at rest) there is no easy way to offer a web client solution.
We do have some ideas, but nothing to announce here.

amailer46 wrote:2. The ability to send a link to a file, with that an ability to send email with that link.

This is a feature which we ship in the Professional license today.

amailer46 wrote:3. The ability to make public files in a given space and creates direct link to them, let our users download (of course, I guess with traffic limitations)

If I get it right, you look for a public Space which any TeamDrive user could join and access.
This is a good idea!

amailer46 wrote:Another thing that is not quite necessary is the ability to pop up a message when a new file is uploaded or a file had been modified.
A pop up could be annoying, but making a feature that would, for example, send an email when a change had happend can be awesome feature
(of course - with a given flag that tells TeamDrive to make that trace & notification)

A better notification system is in the works.

amailer46 wrote:Another thing I can think about is a Zero-Knowledge Policy for specific spaces/files:
adding another layer of encryption with a key derived from a password, and the password or the key won't be saved on TeamDrive servers.

This is what we offer today! Total privacy.
Your encryption keys stay in you client and will never be made available to a server or to us as the hosting provider.

amailer46 wrote:a TrueCrypt like encryption for specific cases
and if someone would ask the key to open the encryption, under SSL connection (to avoid Man-In-The-Middle), it will allow communication and sending the password to a remote client, using direct connection between each client and client.

There is no "Man-in-the-Middle" attack possible. When you want to further protect your client you can install and run TeamDrive within a Truecrypt container. The best for that is a TeamDrive Portable installation in a TrueCrypt volume.
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Re: Web Client, direct links to files and public sharing

Postby amailer46 » 27 Nov 2011, 18:06

thanks for the long and detailed response!

its probably not the place, but where can I find the encryption schema you're using?
(specific question: If the encryption keys lays in the client's computer without getting to the server, how multiple clients share this key? key exchange over SSL?)
amailer46

Return to Nice to Have - Wäre Schön zu Haben