A way to keep the history

Use this forum to share your TeamDrive "nice to have" ideas - Nutzen Sie dieses Forum, um Ihre TeamDrive "wäre schön zu haben" Ideen zu teilen

A way to keep the history

Postby panther » 04 Sep 2009, 16:38

One thing I love about TD is that it keeps a history of previous versions, and that I am able to retrieve old version if I need to.

However, this information cannot be kept, if I move to a new space. Since I need these, I still have TD1 spaces that keep my history until the date I switched to TD2. Now I would like to switch to a space on another server, but again, in order to keep my history, I have to keep my old space. In a short while, I will be having several old spaces for any active space just to keep the history.

I have a dream, that one not-too-far-away day, there will be a migration tool that allows me to migrate my data from one space to another including the data's history.

Is there a chance that it might come true? ;)
panther

keep the history and look at diffs

Postby JaHa » 07 Sep 2009, 21:34

Are you saying I can't (!) retrieve older versions of my files when this computer gets fried by something??!?
That's a pity. I hoped that I'd get that.

Another thing about the history: It would be huge if I could look at diffs.
JaHa

Re: A way to keep the history

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 08 Sep 2009, 08:37

@ panther: we are looking into the possibility of moving spaces to a new server without loosing the history and any metadata. We will keep you infomred here.

@ Jaha: As long as your server is up and running, you can retrieve any old version and your complete history from the server. If your client dies, you just need your exported personal key files (.pss) to retrieve your hole space.
With our new release exporting the .pss files got much easier. Look into the preferences menue under extended preferences.

-detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby lucky » 22 Sep 2009, 23:23

Hi TeamDrive,

seems the Backup feature backed up 50% of my TeamSpaces .pss files. The others are not on my machine. Since I'm the admin of all TeamSpaces and still logged in, how can I recreate/export the missing .pss files?

What happens, if I execute the menu command re-join?

Regards,
Lucky
lucky

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 23 Sep 2009, 18:13

Hi,

if you are on Windows XP you can find the original place where the application stores the space key files ( .pss) in the application data folder of your user account.
There, in the TeamDrive folder, you can see a folder named PSS. All your .pss files should be there.

Re-join will bring you exact to this folder and you can select the desired space to reload from the server.

We will double check the update mechanism.

-detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby lucky » 24 Sep 2009, 22:49

Hi Detlef,

well, I moved from XP to Win7 and had my pss files on a backup. I used the pss files to join the TeamSpaces. Since I assumed, that the pss files are stored on my new machine (which was obviously wrong :-)), I didn't take care for saving them. The new backup feature led to my understanding, that it is automatically backed up in the TD-backup location, which I surely backup regularly.

The point is, at least currently, I cannot find my old backup. Probably, I have reused the backupdrive for something else.

How can I recreate those pss files? Please note, I have full access to my TeamSpaces.

Best regards,
Lucky
lucky

Postby Detlef Schmuck » 25 Sep 2009, 08:46

Lucky,

when you still have access to your Spaces, crearting a new backup for your space and server keys is easy. Just open the preference menu and create a new backup path. TeamDrive will place all your existing keys in ther and every time you accept an invitation the key will be saved here.
Bildschirmfoto 2009-09-25 um 08.41.39.png
Bildschirmfoto 2009-09-25 um 08.40.45.png
Bildschirmfoto 2009-09-25 um 08.40.45.png (8.4 KiB) Viewed 10919 times

- Detlef
Detlef Schmuck
TeamDrive Team Member

Postby lucky » 08 Oct 2009, 00:33

Hi Detlef,

well, the good thing is, I found my former backup location, so I know have savely all my four pss files of my four team spaces.

Nevertheless, I tried your solution to specify a new invitation backup folder location. But it only recreates two of the four pss files. Do you have an idea, why? I'm actively working with all four spaces.

Regards,
Lucky
lucky

Postby volkeroboda » 08 Oct 2009, 13:22

Hi
when you re-join a SharedSpace with the latest version 2.1.171 the pss-file will be copied into the standard directory. In your case you have re-joined the space with an older TeamDrive Version.

Volker Oboda
volkeroboda
TeamDrive Team Member

Return to Nice to Have - Wäre Schön zu Haben