Error: Unable to connect to Proxy

Error: Unable to connect to Proxy

Postby TurricanII » 26 Jul 2016, 11:35

Hi,

I am trying to help someone with the latest TeamDrive 4.2 client installed. They previously were given access to a space by a company and it worked for a while but now that space is showing as Offline and 'Unable to connect to Proxy'.

We tried the TeamDrive client from different computers and different Internet connections (with no filtering) but get the same error.

Does this mean that the company that shared the space has a problem with their TeamDrive server software? The company claim it is working fine and I can not find any explicit explanation for the 'Unable to connect to Proxy' error.

Many thanks for your help!
TurricanII

Re: Error: Unable to connect to Proxy

Postby Kenneth » 26 Jul 2016, 15:50

When does the access to the Space not work? In other words, if access works within company walls and does not work outside of company walls, the company needs to configure their router to allow external access to the network.

If there is a proxy or firewall, your colleague needs to make sure they have everything configured properly to allow them to access the network. This sounds more like a network issue if you are experiencing the same connection issue from different machines.
Kenneth

Postby TurricanII » 26 Jul 2016, 15:59

Since it stopped working a week or so ago the space has constantly shown this error.

Because the company providing the space/files says it is working then I presume it is working within their network for them.

We tried the Teamdrive client from a simple NAT'ed Internet connection with no firewall or proxy, and get the same error. I do not know the newtork setup of the the compnay providing the space/files.

Being new to Teamdrive I thought this might be a common error and hoped that someone could confirm that this problem indicates a problem at their (the company's) TeamDrive server side network, rather than our client side.
TurricanII

Postby Kenneth » 27 Jul 2016, 16:28

If they are hosting the data on-premise it sounds like they router isn't configured to allow external access.

You can test this by simply creating a Space using your depot (the cloud depot). If you have no problems connecting to that Space then it is not a connection issue on your side because you are able to connect to the cloud. If there was a connection issue you would also not be able to connect to the cloud. You also mentioned having the same issue on other machines and I assume all are outside of the network of the company.

If it is working for them, in-house, then it sounds like their network configuration. They need to allow external access in order for you to be able to access the data they're hosting on-premise. If that is something they do not want to do they could also use the hybrid method. That is, for data they wish to share with external parties, they could upload this data to the public cloud. With that, external parties will always have access to the data, as long as they have a valid internet connection, because the cloud is independent of the company's on-premise network settings
Kenneth

Return to Desktop Client - Desktop-Client (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)